Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

915/916 Shift Pattern

I have a simple question I need help with. I am in the early stages of info gathering on a 6cyl conversion and was wondering if anybody knows what the shift pattern on a 915 trans with a 916 linkage looks like. My only experience is with the 901.

Also, can anybody list pros and cons of 901 vs. 915. I will be mating it to a 3.2 that is relatively stock and using it for daily driving......this car will never see the track or autoX.

Thanks in advance.

RKL
Old 08-28-2003, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

1 3 5

2 4 R

This is a great setup for a couple driving styles, and very sucky for others.

It totally changes the 2-3 dynamic, and once I am out of 1st, I don't really want a chance to go back there..

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 08-28-2003, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 901-based 914 transmission is already setup for mid-engine operation. No linkage issues at all. The only real issues are that you have to buy a custom-made flywheel to fit the nine-bolt crank and the 901 gearbox. Or slightly more custom if you need to keep the DME (fuel injection) on the engine. Plus the 901 can only deal with a limited amount of torque. Over 200 lb-ft, generally, but an old 901 box can be killed by pumping 200 lb-ft through it for a few years.

The 915 needs to be modified (flip the ring and pinion) to work in a 914. The shift linkage also needs to be custom-built, and it will still be a tail-shifter with the linkage going all the way to the end and making many angles. (Or you have to spend really serious bucks on the side-shift-type conversion.) The clutch linkage is also non-trivial. It can deal with more torque, and does not have the weaker cantilevered 1st gear that the 901 does. Finally, it is 50 lbs heavier than the 901.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-28-2003, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. You both answered my questions very well.

I'll talk to you soon.

RKL
Old 08-29-2003, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'd investigate the Wevo 915 setup. It seems to solve many of the head aches.

http://www.wevo.com/wevo915sideshift.htm
Old 08-31-2003, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've been running a stock 901 mated to a stock 3.2 for a couple of years now (daily driver/AX/DE) with no issues. Uses the stock flywheel that was on the 3.2, with a clutch kit from Patrick M/S that includes an adapter ring to pick up the starter. Had to drill 2 holes in the bell housing to admit the crank sensors, but other than than, it bolted right up. Sold the 915, but transferred the starter that was on it to the 901.

If you avoid 1st gear burnouts (that's not what a teener is for anyway), the 901 will last just fine. A set of bronze shift bushings and a fresh coupler on the rear shift rod made my shift pattern quite predictable (though it will never be as silky as my '86 Accord). If you want to beef things up, upgrade the intermediate plate and the mainshaft rather than doing the ring flips and linkage fabs to get the heavier 915 bodanker into your teener.

If you're going to pump up the 3.2's HP or go to a 3.6, then a 915 might be advised.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Here is the way to go. Steve

http://www.quaife.co.uk/index2.htm
Old 08-31-2003, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I just sold a 914 with a 3.2 and short geared, Quaiffed 901. I used it primarily for auto-x and DEs. The 3.2 was basically stock with Raceware rod bolts, headers and chipped for a 7800rpm cutout.

I am a fairly smooth driver but still went through two sets of ring/pinion gears and a transmission case (bearing ports shot). I know there are ways to strengthen the 901 but I decided to convert to a 915. I bought an early 915 gearbox that would accept the Quaiffe (no, I don't want to sell it - it will eventually gor in to my new 911 RSR replica with the Quaiffeed 901) but never got around to installing it.

The WEVO set up is definately the way to go with the 915 for the 914. Last time I checked, the WEVO 915 set up for the 914 was $1,750 and that did not include their slick shifter. You also nee to add a few buck for the "while we're in there" items that will come up during the conversion. Not a cheap alternative but a very elegant solution to resolve the 3.2/901 mating issue.
PCA - 36yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 08-31-2003, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: