Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 engine into a V-Dub Van?

Hi there folks-

I know this is probably a ridiculous question to ask, but would anyone in this forum happen to know anything about swapping a 914 1.7 or 2.0 engine into a VW transporter? My father is picking just such a vehicle, and the 36hp engine it's packing just isn't enough. There's an example of the swap I'm talking about on ebay here.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Ian
Old 09-18-2003, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
He used the upright conversion but you wouldnt actually have to. If it fits in with that, it will fit in anyway.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 09-18-2003, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Check out this link... http://www.shoptalkforums.com/
There are lots of people who talk about nothing else!!!

Patrick
Old 09-18-2003, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Chibone914 has a 1.8L in his 61 doublecab .
Old 09-18-2003, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi Ian,

Been there, done that. Works great! Cruise at 85 mph all day! You'll need to remove the gear reduction boxes first to gain any real benefit.

You'll need a 210mm clutch assy and flywheel. The flywheel will need to be machined to accomodate the 914 pilot bushing. Use the 914 starter, it's self supporting and has more torque than the type I starter.

I used the type III swingaxle gearbox in the comversion with a Wolfgang Intl' conversion kit (eliminates reduction boxes)

I used the 914 cooling shroud, so I had to trim the engine valence to fit. You'll need to remove the ring from the type I clutch cover and install it on the 210mm cover and use a 1980-83 vanagon TOB and late style (1971) TOB actuating fork.

It's fairly simple to do, I'm running Webers on it.

Good Luck,

John

johnechi@hotmail.com
Old 09-18-2003, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

LOL, awesome guys, thanks very much for the advice..Gonna pass on the good word, and post pics when it's done!

Take care,
Ian
Old 09-18-2003, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have everything you need for the conversion, from the conversion shroud to the flywheel, to the knowledge...

See www.massivetype4.com for tons of info on this very thing. smartest thing in the world- EASY!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 09-18-2003, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Cool site Jake, i'm browsing it.. shoptalkforums is down BTW..
Old 09-18-2003, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

make sure to read the "DTM and your car" section for an early bus.... My shroud fits like a glove and is simple and easy to work with. I just finished the upright conversion video, which will come with each shroud, it takes you through the entire process step by step.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 09-18-2003, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Jake,

Looks very cool

I should have gone that route when I did the conversion. Nice commentary on Joe in the history. We need more people like him around nowadays.

John

johnechi@hotmail.com
Old 09-18-2003, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: