Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Heating the engine?

Has anybody tried to use the external oil cooler adapter that pelican parts sells to add an oil heater? This may seem like a strange point for most 914 folks, but I am interested in keeping the engine warm over a cold winter (next winter) and I need ways to do this.

Is this possible? or is there a valve in there that prevents oil flow when the engine is off? I want to do something that can be removed for winter driving, unlike the block heater that most people use for this purpose.

Thanks,
-Matthew
Old 12-14-1999, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There is nothing specific to the engine-on state in the oil circuit. There are one or two spring-loaded valves that work on pressure, but that's it.

Have you considered one of the dipstick heaters? They go down into the block as a replacement for the dipstick. When you want to drive, you can just pull it out and put the regular dipstick in.

--DD
Old 12-14-1999, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey,

When I was in CT, two of the wort years of my life, I used thermal tape on the oil pan. You can order it in tape or pad form from JC Whitney. I'd get the tape and weave it inbetween the cooling fins on the bottom of the oil pan.

Then you run the outlet up to the engine compartment. This allows you to plug in an extension cord and heat the lower block/oil. Thermal tape is basically what's in an electric blanket.

Anyway, at the time I was using it on a BMW 325i. I wraped it on the oil pan and plugged it in nightly. This worked great, and the car was outside exposed to the elements. The upside of tape is that you did not need to remove a messy oil stick every time you wanted to run the car. The downside here is that in the summer you'll want to remove it from your oil pan cooling fins. On the BMW this was not a consideration, as it was a water-jacket engine.

my $0.02
Ian
Old 12-14-1999, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Need a block heater eh? Just ask a Canadian. Half of our winter GNP is devoted to keeping our cars warm enough to start.

One I had (actually I may still have it somewhere) replaces the oil strainer cover. Looks just like a standard cover except it has a heating element imbedded in it. Guaranteed good to minus 40.
Old 12-14-1999, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Any idea where you got such a thing?
the oil strainer heater that is? I thought about looking into something like that but I thought I would have to build it myself...

-Thanks
Matthew Sill

(snip)
One I had (actually I may still have it somewhere) replaces the oil strainer cover. Looks just like a standard cover except it has a heating element imbedded in it. Guaranteed good to minus 40.
(snip)
Old 12-14-1999, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'll E-mail you.

Tim
Old 12-15-1999, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I saw a new oil heater for sale on e-bay. Check out http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=219669231
good luck
Old 12-16-1999, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: