Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Need Cad Plating Shop

I just got real lucky while at Pick a Parts in Sun Valley, CA. I found a 73 2.0L they had just put out. It had factory sway bars Frt /Rear. I grabbed them with all of the mounting hardware and a drivers seat also. I sure hated to cut up a good 2.0L. It was a shame. The PO. sure kept it up as I scored a perfect set of chrome decklid letters and Stainless Brake lines the front brake/pads were real new. It also had newer looking Boge front struts and newer KYB rears with 100# springs. I left the struts and brakes. It also looked as if it had sat a while. The motor/trans were gone before I arrived.

This is the only 914 I have seen at Pick a Part or most like wreckers in a while! Two weeks ago they had 4 924's 2 944's (one a 86 with fender flares and long wheel studs?) and one 65' 911! Boy, I remember when I could find a 914 on most trips. Now I see a bunch of Mercedes, BMW's and VW rabbit converts. Oh well... I must be getting old...

Question. Where can I have the parts replated? Most showed signs of original CAD plating. I have a bead blaster and can prep the parts first. Does anybody know of a plater that can plate Cadmium still? If not is Zinc an option?. Do most plating shops shy away from small jobs. Will it be less expensive per piece if I have a larger job? If so does anyone else need parts CAD plated?

I am in Ventura County Ca. But am really close to LA/OC.
Mark MG911Guy

1970 914/2L
1975 911SC/Cab
Old 10-19-2003, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

look up metal finishing in the phone book
Old 10-19-2003, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yellow Zinc plated works fine and looks the same too. Shops don't mind small jobs unless they are a huge business used to catering to industrial only. The bigger the job the better the price.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. What I ended up doing is Replating the parts myself. I used a Cad/Zinc kit from Caswells. It works great.

Here is what is involved.

Degrease the parts well
Rinse
Remove the old plate with Muriatic Acid
Rinse
Replate the parts using a Zinc electrolyte
Rinse
Dip for a few seconds in Caswells Yellow Chromate Crystals
Rinse
Allow to dry overnight
Viola' New Porsche parts!!!

The chemicals involved are dangerous if not used properly. I have all the safety equipment, Goggles, Face Shield Gloves and respirator. All Equipment anyone should already have when working on old cars (grinding, painting, etc).
My mixtures are small only 1 Gallon each. They can be reused over and over for years if properly maintained. Not cross contaminating using covered containers.

I plan on using the plating on many things besides my Porsche parts. I have a 911 that is next. Tools, and anything steel/iron.

I also have a setup to "Parkerize" steel. I used it on my pedal assembly before repainting. It converts the steel to resist rust and accept oil or paint much better than just cleaning or sanding the metal. This is the same finish that is on Military weapons. Grey to Black matte on rifles/handguns.

I am going this nuts so I will not have to refinish these parts in the future and the next owner will know I went the extra mile to prepare the car.

I love old porsches and really hate to see them just rotting away.

If anyone would like more info? Just let me know. I would be happy to share my experiences.

P.S. These Plating Solutions contain NO Arsenic or Cyanide. They have been developing safer ways of plating in the last 10 or 20 years. I do not "Dump" anything but save the solutions for the Hazmat dropoffs in my community. They can be replenished with the addition of water or the addition of small amounts of chemicals.

Thanks again Mark MG911Guy
Old 11-25-2003, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: