Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'73 2.0 Electrical Problem

I had a leaky #3 fuel injector which I removed and replaced the inner and outer seals on and the rubber fuel lead from the main circuit to the injector.

When I was done, I reconnected everything and hooked up the battery. When I went to start it, there was no fuel pump whine. I checked the fuse on the main relay and it is not blown.

Is there any way to trouble shoot this without a test light? If not, I will get one and proceed with the manual instructions for trouble shooting the main relay board.

Is it fairly common for fuel pump relay to die suddenly?

Thanks, John
Old 01-02-2000, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
There is a couple of relays in the engine bay circuit board. Pull them and look for corrosion....be sure that you put them back in correctly. If you not yet bought a haynes or Clymer manual, this would be a good time to do it...

There are hints in there that can allow you to hot wire the fuel pump...one time my relay decided to die. And I was able to get home...
Old 01-02-2000, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mike:

Thanks for your reply. I have the Clymer manual which I find generally helpful. One thing to add--the car ran fine before today's attempted repair so I wasn't expecting any problems except maybe continued leaking gas.

I inspected the fuel pump relay and none of the poles had really any kind of corrosion at all. The car ran fine just a couple of weeks ago except for the leaking injector.

I will get a test light and try to diagnose the electrical snafu further.
Old 01-02-2000, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There's a tech article on the 914 Fan Page about the fuel pump control system on the D-jet cars. (I presume you're running D-jet.) The title is, if I recall, a bit confusing--doesn't mention the pump specifically.

Anyway, check it out. It's a good article. One of the folks from the old Porschefans 914 list wrote it up when I was having fuel pump problems.

http://www.914fan.net

--DD
Old 01-02-2000, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: