Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Kurt B Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt B
Using FI from one 914 year on another year

I pulled the FI system from my 75 914 a year ago because it failed and, after a hell of a lot of work, I couldn't get it working. (it died as soon as the gas was pressed, but it would idle okay. I went through some ancient Bosch troubleshooter, but never solved it). The wiring it totally shot, connectors cracked etc, and what I need is the whole wiring loom in the engine compartment.
This of course, can't be gotten anywhere.
Can I put FI wiring including the control unit and rear panel (one on the left upper side of engine compartment) from some other year, say 74 or 73 on my 75 1.8? If so, what changes would be necessary?
Registration expires in April and the carbs have to come out.

Old 01-03-2000, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The 74-5 1.8 L-Jet FI are different due to different smog regs that changed in 75, but could be interchangeable on 1.8 or 1.7 motors.

But you can't use 74-5 L-Jet on the 2.0 unless you modify the intakes to accept the different bolt patterns. AND the 2.0 D-Jet can't be used on the 1.7 and 1.8 for the same reason.

There are different injectors for diffrent years and different wiring. So to answer your question, yes it can done but you would be better off finding a complete system for the model motor you have or buying a reproduction wiring kit and the other parts you need.
Old 01-03-2000, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I'll see what I can dig up for my 1.8 at the local VW/914 junkyard.
Old 01-03-2000, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
You might want to give these folks a call, maybe they can help wiring harness-wise:

http://www.res-systems.com/

Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2000, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Just tried the RES link, the 800 number for them does not work. But the local one in San Jose CA does.Ph. 1-408-723-9098.

A complete wiring harness system for a 74 2.0 D-Jet was quoted at $460.00, that includes the alternator wiring loom, circuit board, fuel injection etc.

Never used their stuff, don't know them...yada yada yada...
Old 01-04-2000, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Actually, 500$ is a considerably better than "Sh-- out of luck."
I'll give em a jingle...thanks...now all I have to do is make the all important 914 decision:
Go for a 73 or older,load my 75 parts on it, and do whatever the hell I want with the motor forever, or, keep the 75 and FI it.
This has helped though, thanks!
Old 01-04-2000, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The L-jet FI system is significantly different from the D-jet. The L-jet was used on the 1.8s, while the D-jet was used on the 1.7s and 2.0s. There are VERY significant differences. Whatever you do, do NOT use L-jet injectors with a D-jet ECU, or vice-versa. The way they're driven, and the currents and impedances, are very different and you can fry the output stage in the ECU if you hook it up wrong! And/or fry the coils in the injectors.

You can probably get away with using a 74 L-jet if you can't find a 75 setup. However, you'll have to adapt it a little bit to add on the EGR piping and such. See Pete Klager's hose diagram, available on the main Pelican page. The largest component differences that I know of have to do with the air flow meter and the wiring harness, which has another pin in the connection between them. I'm sure there are other differences as well, but I don't remember them offhand.

The safest bet is to get the whole system and install it, and then adapt the EGR to work on it. At the very least, you'll need an ECU, air flow meter, and wiring harness from one year's 1.8.

If you put D-jet on it, you'll have to try to pass it off to the smog folks as a 2.0, and meet all smog regs for the 2.0. I think that this includes both EGR *and* a catalytic converter. I'm not sure if one is required for the 1.8s or not.

Good luck!

--DD
Old 01-05-2000, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I think the 1.8L had the cat and EGR but only the 2.0L had an air pump.

Look into a bus 2.0L L-jet harness. There a re a lot more of them and they made them up to either 79 or 83. Most jusnkyards will let you take the old part in with you if you show it to them at the door. Otherwise you will have to pay for it on the way out. Take a ohm meter and check the wire harness to see if it is the same. The one I have off a 77-79 has some sort of crank trigger, I don't think it would make a difference though. I would not bother with the bus brain as it will be programed completely wrong for a 914.
Old 01-05-2000, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: