Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
CIS conversion on the 4cyl?

During a resent bench racing session, I had a friend of mine suggest converting the flat 4 to CIS injection off of a later model VW Rabbit or Volvo. As our conversation went, It was stated that these systems are a dime a dozen and appearently easy to modify. Has anyone had any experience with trying this or some feed back? My reason for bringing this up is, if this system was adaptable it may work for engines with more compression and cam timing. 914's seem to like FI more than carb's, until big bores and cams are added.

[This message has been edited by rich (edited 01-08-2000).]
Old 01-08-2000, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That's interesting! I personally have always liked CIS. I currently have it on a GTI and had it on a 928 I use to own. The CIS also allows you to use decent cams. From what I understand you can also play with different injectors depending on your needs. I think that by the time you configured the CIS though you would be better off getting a system similar to CB Performances although it is 1500.00 Oh well, Ian
Old 01-08-2000, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
My question was posed to stimulate conversation about a workable low cost system with abundant parts. My friend is a real
McGyver type guy. He seems to think this system could be adapted to a performance motor with very little money. He's talking half the cost of carb's. I'll have him chime in when he gets back on line. He's currently back packing in the Patagonian Andes. (what a life) When he returns to the states he's going to rebuild a spare motor I've got laying around to install in his VW bus, and was toying with the CIS idea.
Old 01-08-2000, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think the company is "Miller CIS" or something close to that. I've seen the conversion on a few dune buggies (on the WEB)and somebody is doing this conversion as we speak on a 914.

The torque increase was impressive, it gave the engine a nice linear torque curve from the dyno sheets I've seen on his web page.

Keep in mind that while a lot of these CIS systems where made, if you "have" to buy new or rebuilt items it will cost you much more than you paid for the whole system from the autowreckers.

I had the system on my 16v Jetta and Audi Quattro and they ran flawless, untill you have a vacumm leak !!!

That CB performance system seems neat, I think a company called Simple DSF (?) (Digital Fuel Injection) has a cheaper and almost as easy EFI system, I'd look it that myself if I had the money.

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8
Old 01-10-2000, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The Miller CIS site is http://www.millerfi.com .

The Simple Digital Systems EFI site is http://www.sdsefi.com .

I didn't like the SDS idea that much. Too much like the stock system--if you're gonna use a manifold-pressure system, why not stick with D-jet? I thought the CB Performance setup (like Mike Nugent has on "914 Lite") was pretty neat.

Different preferences for different people.

--DD
Old 01-11-2000, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ViolentBlue
I'm planning on doing a CIS injection setup on my 1.7L engine, it has been done before.
check out http://www.dolphinsci.com/typeIV.html
its a type 4 engine in a type 2 pickup, but its the same basic theory. infact I think that a CIS setup would be easier to set up on a 914, in place of your stock FI.
I'm told that the advantages are many, and its almost the same power as carbeuration at a lot less cost ( I don't know about more power than a set of webers, but I picked up an entire parts car for $250)

VB
Old 01-27-2000, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: