Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Re-built my own. It was fun, but took me 6 months. Would I do it again? Absolutely.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
So what have you decided?
I work with Autocraft engine builder Denny McNuttand am very happy.
L. McC
Old 05-11-2004, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Banned

Re: About my engine...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pritchard
Alfred1-

I unfortunately have no numbers on HP or quickness to give you. I can tell you that the seat of the pants feeling is that I have a bit more power than before. I can't really remember what a "normal" 2.0L felt like to give you a good comparison. All I can tell you is that it pulls strong. I love the feeling of going up a hill and accelerating the entire way up.

The D-jet FI mods were: bumped fuel pressure up to 30psi, enriched the idle setting w/ knob on ECU, dialed in the MPS by ear (I know that some of you just cringed at that thought) at 2500 RPM. The D-jet seems to be able to handle the bigger bore with no trouble. I only increased the displacement by 80 cc so it wasn't really that big a jump.

The extra power I'm feeling is probably due to having fresh heads, new rings and cyls., and the higher compression ratio.

Best of luck to you.

Pritchard
Pritchard,

I'm building an engine identical to yours (are you using the stock cam?) but I thought I'd use only 8:1 c/r. Do you have any problems with pinging or detonation with 8.3:1 c/r? What octane fuel do you use? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Member w/ Title Problems

Detonation shouldn't be a problem with 8.3:1

I'm running 9:1 with nothing but success (91 octane)

1989 Chevy Silverado 3500 - 454TBI, 4x4, 8 gallons/mile
Old 05-11-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Depends on a lot of things, though. Ignition advance curves, cam grind, fuel curves, how much air/mixture/exhaust you can move in and out of the engine... It's tough to make a blanket statement about what will and what will not ping.

Though I don't think 8.3:1 would be a problem, even with the stock cam/intake/fuel/ignition. Remember, the European-spec 2.0 ran 8.0:1 and was only spec'ed for mid-grade fuel.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-11-2004, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Member w/ Title Problems

My set-up is about as severe as you can run on the street with any sort of comfort (this coming from a guy with Konis at full stiff and urethane bushings on his car) and it doesn't ping.

Of course, I got my combo and plans from 2 of the best air-cooled engine builders on the planet (Jake and Otto), but it's still a tightly wound little engine.

If it's pinging with 8.3:1 with 91/92 octane, your timing is most likely the culprit. This assumes we're talking about a streetable cam...

Old 05-11-2004, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

no pinging

I run 87 octane most of the time with no problems at all. I still have the stock cam in it. I wanted to keep the FI and from what I've read here, the Webcam 73 grind requires a little more fine tuning than I am able to do "by ear."

Pritchard
Old 05-11-2004, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Its that friggin stock cam.... the first thing to do is remove it and break it in half, so someone else don't make the mistake of using it later!

Jason, The cam you have is awesome and will hold 9.7:1 as long as you keep tight deck and keep the heads cool...
www.massivetype4.com
Old 05-11-2004, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Member w/ Title Problems

Now I just gotta get a Mallory, and drop about 300 lbs...

Time to ditch the roof maybe, hmmm....

Old 05-12-2004, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Note that an aggressive cam will let an engine tolerate a higher static compression ratio... So the stock mild-mild-mild cam is probably about the worst one you can use for avoiding pre-ignition with high compression ratios.

--DD

Old 05-12-2004, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

absolutely!!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 05-12-2004, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Banned

And for those of us who want to keep the stock d-jet system, the stock cam is the best cam to use to avoid tuning problems. Not everyone wants to put Webers on their car.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Yup! There are trade-offs here, as in all engineering and design decisions.

--DD

Old 05-12-2004, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Another reason to throw that system away... When you have to keep a crappy part, to work best with a system- you are fighting a losing battle.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 05-12-2004, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Banned

I might as well get rid of my whole 30-year-old car then and buy an RSX or something. Nah, I'll just build my motor how I like and you can build yours how you like.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Yes, Alfred- You should.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 05-12-2004, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
If you can not get the D-jet to provide what you want, why not convert to a MegaSquirt or the future Kit Carson system? It is my understanding that the overlap of the cam is the limiting factor with D-jet and aggressive cams.
L.McC
Old 05-13-2004, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: