Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Actually, it should only change the mixture during the warm-up. I believe that the total resistance drops below the threshold where the ECU does anything to the mixture by the time the engine is fully up to temp--but I could be wrong.

I'd be curious to see if the resistor has gone bad, or if the wires or connectors had.

Oh, and if one plug wire looked suspicous, just replace 'em all. They should come in a set, right?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-18-2004, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I will replace them all. Just have to get them. Strangely enough the one wire was a spare that was in the shop. As for the missing, I now have one when car run much hotter. Should I try and adjust my mixture? Do you think that maybe the car is running a little too rich? I would love to be totally rid of this problem. Car runs awesome before getting that hot. Hard to say what the exact temp. gets to but it's when temp needle gets up to 3/4 of the guage. Any ideas??
Old 08-18-2004, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Still getting that when car is up there in temp. Could it be the throttle switch? Will try changing the points today a maybe fiddle wit the mixture. Anyone know where the knob on the ECU should be and/or the best way to adjust this? Any input is appreciated. Cheers, Dominic.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Did you adjust the timing back to stock?
-74 BMW R90
Old 08-19-2004, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Yep! reajusted timing as per the book as well as dwell.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The "correct" setting for the knob is "whatever it takes to get the CO level within spec". I forget the spec, something like 1.5% at idle. If you set it to where the pointer on the knob lines up with a depressed spot on the ring around the knob, the "idle" circuit inside the ECU is not having any effect on the mixture. (IOW, just the MPS and engine RPM and temp sensors are affecting the mixture, not the fact that the throttle is closed.)

A not-too-awful place to start the knob at is halfway between full-right and full-left. Make a note of how many clicks from the one or the other you start out, though, so you can get back to where you are--just in case!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-19-2004, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Check your cooling fan is clear. I've seen red rags twirling around inside. They will block the air flow thru the fan and make the engine run hotter.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Not a bad idea. I allready found a fuse panel plastic cover in there when I was finding TDC. Should have a closer look.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

If problem still exists...

I had the same problem a while back. I tried everything that I could think of (new cap, rotor, wires, plugs, trigger points, TPS, CHT sensor). I ended up going through two brand new sets of wires, two brand new sets of plugs, two brand new rotors and one new cap before the problem went away. Hopefully you are not this unlucky, but you might want to try new sets of parts.

Good luck.

Pritchard
Old 08-23-2004, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Hey Pritchard! In the process of doing that. The car runs better than it did but still get the missing at high temp. Waiting for some parts and hope that they will do the trick. Think I might take the relay board off and clean it up underneath or at least have a look. I'm probably reaching but what the hey. Thanks for responding, Dominic.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: