Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Has anyone run wires up the sail...

Has anyone run wires up the sail and inside the "roll bar"?

I want to add a center high mount brake light on the underside or trailing edge of the roll bar and need to run wires.

http://www.spoilerlights.com/lg1830.shtml

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2004, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

I drilled holes in the sail panels on my 73 to put on the chrome trim, having seen inside there, I can tell you that it is going to be one mother of a job to get wires up through the panels. Probabl going to be easier to run it at the center...
Old 11-20-2004, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would run very thin wire in a groove on the outside. LEDs use almost no curent - paint the wire black or whatever to match and use glue to hold it.

If you really want to run it inside - I have a cut off "roll bar" that I can take pictures of and plan a route - gotta get a camera for christmas.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Why cant you run it up from the fender behind the piece of aluminum trim? That comes off really easily (too easily really). Seems like a really thin spieaker wire would be pretty flat. I would try to pull the edge of the vinyl away and just slid it in running up the edge. I would let the wire exit at the top of this piece at the bottom and run along the edge of the trim to the middle. You might be able to squeeze it into the groove even....
I thought about saying something like - "who would want to do that to a 914?" but honestly, if ANY car needs a CHMSL, it is a 914. My roof doesn't reach to top of the front fender well opening of most SUVs.

My gallery page
Old 11-27-2004, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to porsche914_73
I couldn't agree more with Scott. If you could phatom a short lady driving a Durango with 20 in tires, you can imagine that she will NOT see a 914 at all while at a stop light... Ugh! Any 914 lover worst nightmare, to be ran over some unsecure, gazguzzling, rolling gas station...

Fred Larracuente
My Gallery
'73 Porsche 914-6 2.4S Alaska Blue L96b - Passed on to my brother. His money pit now...
'99 Boxster with only 23K miles
Old 11-30-2004, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

While dealing with some rust issues, we had to cut out a 3"X3" section where the sail curves outboard and discovered that there is some sort of insulation that can breakdown and trap water (rust on BOTH sides of my car). Why not just mount the brake light on top of the engine cover?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: