Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Throttle return spring for carbs

The dual webers I have use a single spring attached to the end of the swing arm thing on the cross bar that the cable attaches to. The cable runs toward the passenger compartment and the spring just hooks on the rear "firewall" above the transaxle. There is no other return mechanism, and if that spring should break the engine would certainly rev to destruction. I guess the carb has capacity for some kinda spring at the shaft. Any of you carb folks got good advise on what I should do to have some kind of redundant throttle return? Seems like springs at each carb will effect pedal pressure alot....
Good ideas? Bad ideas? Turn yer light on and think fer me (please).

My gallery page
Old 01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well howdy

I had the same situation while putting mine together (dual 40idfs with missing throttle-shaft return springs) and heres-a what I did - -

2 small springs from hardware store, cut them to fit from the hole on the throttle-shaft-end-lever thingy (I don't know the technical term, so I'll use 'thingy') up to the base of the air cleaner plate.

Drilled small hole on air cleaner base plate, and used a small screw and nut to attatch a tiny 's' hook that I bent to fit perfectly underneath.

Bent up a coil on each of the spring ends, and attatched the springs from the throttle shaft to the 's' hooks on both air cleaner bottom plates

Voila!

I bought a couple different sized sets of springs (they were like a nickel or something) just in case so I could fiddle with the tensions. The setup works perfect and looks like it was made that way.
It also makes sure the butterflys snap shut perfectly and equally, helping carb performance. I know that the carbs were supposed to come with a return spring on the throttle shaft, but mine were gone, and this was a cheap and effective way to do it. I still use the main spring on the hexbar shaft piece, although it's not a very strong spring.

I'll look for pics if you want to see the setup!

Adios
Jeff
Old 01-06-2005, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds great. I'll bet there isn't as much tension as there would be with the thr. shaft springs, too. If you get a chance a picture would be good, but I get the idea, and will probably have to come up with a variation on the idea to fit my setup....

My gallery page
Old 01-06-2005, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

On my race car I have dual springs at the cable connector, one is just tension enough to help if the stronger one breaks. I also have a spring on each carb from the throttle arm to a bracket. On our stock 74 with D-Jet we have two springs and twice over the years one has broken with no warning!! Also keep a spare in the glove box.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Each carb should be individually set up with a spring. Any decent carb shop should have what you need for the shafts. Or you can get them at European Motor Works in Torrance CA, also on the web.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: