Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Rear Shocks

Just finished installing new KYB shock and 100 lb spring (purchased from Pelican) on the right rear. Tightened evrything and lowered the car. The top of the rear wheel well opening is now at the top of the tire. It looks really high! Is that because I haven't installed the left side yet? I noticed when tightening the top nut on the shock the center post was turning with the nut. Are these shocks ride height adjustable? Maybe I have turned the valve out too far? I put this same set up on a 72 that I had and the car never sat this high. What did I do wrong?

Old 01-16-2005, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
KYBs do not, to my knowledge, have any way of adjusting the ride height.

Hold the center post of the shock with a small open-end wrench to keep it from turning when you tighten down the top nut.

Make sure the springs are fully seated in the spring perches, and that the lower perch is seated on the projection on the outside of the shock (if the lower perch is not welded directly to the shock). Shorter aftermarket springs can get cocked diagonally in the perch and not let the car settle all the way. You can tie-wrap the top of the spring to the upper perch to counter this tendency.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-16-2005, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I put KYBs in my pickup and I sware it looked lifted when I let if off the jacks. I thought I had the springs turned but after I jumped up and down on the bumper it seemed to relax. Crazy? Maybe.
discern the causes of things.'
Virgil (37 B.C.)
Old 01-17-2005, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
The KYB shocks have a WELDED on perch.

The only way around it is Bilstein or Koni... KYB's are high pressure and have always had the perch mounted too high.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

rear shocks

I put this same set up ( KYB & 100 lb springs) on the back of a 72 that I once had and once installed, the clearance from top of wheel to wheel opening looked great. Just like factory!This car has about 5 - 51/2" of clearance. I measured the springs before installing and they are approx 18" high. I think the springs they sent are just the wrong ones. Not sure what to do now. Springs and shocks on the car. I guess I got "stuck". Any suggestions besides spending more money for replacments? I would appreciate the feedback. thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: