Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Overhauled Engine Noise

I have just finished a complete overhaul of the fuel injected 1.8 liter engine from my 1974 914. I reused the pistons, honed the cylinders, and installed all new rings, bearings, gaskets, and seals. All fits and clearances are within factory limits. The engine is reinstalled and I have set the dwell, timing, and valve clearances. It is running very well except for one thing.

I now have clatter (or a slight mechanical rattle) that ONLY occurs between 2000 and 3000 R.P.M. during deceleration. If I apply any amount of throttle the noise goes away. I have combed the entire engine compartment and undercarriage for sources. Other than the torsion bars for the engine lid and rear trunk lid, which now have rubber hose insulators installed, I can not find anything else moving or hitting other parts.

If anyone has a suggestion I would be very grateful.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have a similar noise at similar times in my 2.0. Some people tell me it might be a wrist pin others the windage tray due to the gasket being old.

-Roger
Old 07-06-2005, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Roger,
Is the windage tray the metal plate inside the engine case that keeps the oil from being mixed up by the crankshaft? If so, I just replaced those edge seals during the rebuild.
I also just checked the wrist pin clearances.
Thanks for your reply, anyway.

Andrew

Last edited by goes4914; 07-06-2005 at 09:39 PM..
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Thack
You might have a loose bolt or nut on the exhaust system.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have found this to be wrist pin. Usually not a problem and can go on for years
Old 07-09-2005, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Member w/ Title Problems

Did you have the case/heads thoroughly checked by a machine shop before rebuild? Are the main bearings still standard? How many miles did it have on it total before this rebuild?

As you can see, I have tons of question...

1989 Chevy Silverado 3500 - 454TBI, 4x4, 8 gallons/mile
Old 07-12-2005, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: