Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Temp gauge in console question--CV gaskets???

I added a console from my parts cart to my 74 914 1.8. According to the "tech paper" on Pelican Parts there should be a green wire that branches off the wiring harness for the sensor that attaches to the bottom of the engine. I cannot find this wire. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find this wire on my 914?

Also, I just swapped transmissions but I forgot to order a couple of CV gaskets. I didn't really want to wait until they come from Pelican. Does anyone know of a local source in the Visalia, CA area?? Can silicone be used?
Thanks
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 07-22-2005, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It should be a green wire with a black stripe, I believe. (Either that or a red stripe. One is oil temp, one is the oil pressure light.) It should be in the bundle of wires that plug into the center console, below the console in the top of the center tunnel. Poke around there for some wires folded up and taped together.

You'll need a way to mount the sender in your engine; it's not a plug-and-play deal unless you get the correct "taco plate" (the two-bolt sump cover) and associated bits.

Do you have a local Porsche dealer? Or Bug shop? I believe some of the old Buses, as well as the 911s, use the same CV joint gaskets. Hmm, I'm not certain of that, though, as the gaskets do have a "914" part number...

A few people don't like to use gaskets at all on the inboard CV. I find that tends to sling lots of grease around, though. Not sure exactly what to tell you on the gaskets.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-22-2005, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have used a small bead of RTV and for gone the gaskets... seams to work

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 07-22-2005, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have the taco plate and sender from my parts car--I just haven't taken off the two bolts for the plate. I'm I correct that under the plate is the sender unit. Since the unit is at the bottom of the engine, does that mean I'll loose my oil--I just recently changed the oil??

My wiring harness had all the correct pluggins for the gauges themselves, but I couldn't find the extra green wire that should be loose for the sender unit. I can follow the green wire from the console down the tunnel but I loose it there. My parts car has the wire coming down to the sender unit. If I can't find the wire on my harness would it be reasonable just to connect a wire from the back of the gauge and go directly to the sending unit?
Thanks again
914--74 1.8 Red Most Fun!...oops, had to put a 2.0 in it. New addition: 914--75 2.0 Copper; 76 White 2.0; 75 White 1.8
Old 07-23-2005, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You will lose all the oil when you remove the taco plate. I'd put the swap off until the next oil change, for that reason.

I misunderstood where you were not finding the wire. It should be over on the passenger's side, in the main wiring harness, under the battery. Near where the fuel pump wires come out of the main wiring harness. Look for the green wire with the (black or red) stripe. There will hopefully be a one-pin plastic box connector on the end of it, though I'm not sure if they did that when there was no sender installed--the wire should be there. You might have to look inside the vinyl sheath of the harness, though.

Or you could run another wire. It's a bit of a pain to poke it through the rubber boot alongside the rest of the wires, but it's not too bad.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-23-2005, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by norustscott
I have used a small bead of RTV and for gone the gaskets... seams to work
Works for me too. I spread a thin coat on the flange.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: