Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Noob to the 914, need help!

Hello,
I am AJ, and am new to the 914, I have been around 912,911 and the 944(S) for a while. I completely stripped my 914 and am now trying to figure out what I need to buy to restore it. Under the drip tray, on the passenger side. There is a battery box, well mine has been removed, then under it is what looks like a frame rail. It looks like the acid/rust damage has taken that out. So what exactly should I be looking for? Does any one have a diagram or any thing that will show my what it looks like on the car and illustrates the different sections. I finally got to drive one of the 914(s) for the first time about a month ago, and for such a small light car, they are exciting for a 1.7 liter. The 911 is a lot more exciting however I would love to get behind the wheel of a 914/6! Thanks and I will try to get a picture posted of my car showing what I am talking about. Thanks again!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What you describe is probably the most common problem with these cars. Most of us who did not have pristine cars to start with have had to repair this area.

If you follow this link, you should find what you need.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/Parts/Body/body_panels_rear_small.htm

You're right, the 4 w/1.7 is an impressive little car, and despite the lower power, on the cuves it can out perform a 911. The six (especially a more powerful one) is flat out awsome, though. I started out with a 1.7 and converted it to a 2.2 6. I wasn't that happy with it, though. I t was good, the the added power didn't make that much of a difference to me. Now I have a 3.0SC, and that's a different story entirely. Expensive, but in my view, well worth it!

Whatever you decide to do, have fun with yours, and welcome to the club!

Old 07-24-2005, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the link. It is still a little unclear. I did find a good picture that illistrates it. From that picture could you please indicate what I would need to buy to restore it. All I am concerned about at the moment is the side frame rail and inner fender. I am sure it has different terms but that gives you the area. Thanks so much for the quick replys, and helpfull nature! and thank you for the kind welcome!
Old 07-25-2005, 02:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Start here:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/9144/POR_9144_chasis_pg1.htm#item5
...and keep looking on the following pages. "Inner wheelhouse upper" and "inner wheelhouse lower" I think are some of the panels you need, as is the "engine shelf". I'm not completely certain which panels make up the longitudinal box member that heads upward diagonally there.

Sadly, we are having problems with our supplier for reproduction panels. You can try calling or emailing our sales department and asking if we can get them, but I'm not certain. Glenn (glenn@pelicanparts.com) is a 914 guy and has dealt with this stuff (at least to some extent) before.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Daniel....your post to AJ caught my attention. I am about to install a 3.0SC six in my 914. I'm currently running a 2.4 six and it would be great to talk to you about what's needed for the change. I understand there are clutch/flywheel issues...fuel system changes (I'll be going from carbs to CIS FI), and wiring issues. Did you do the conversion yourself? You running injection? I've lots of questions. PM me if you can help....or maybe start a new thread here (sorry for the Hijacked thread AJ).

AJ...if you go over to 914club.com, you'll find lots of rust repair information on the forums and some guys making parts too. Pelican is a great source of parts and info also....I've always been very pleased with their services. Good luck and welcome to the fold.
Randy
Old 07-25-2005, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
www.914club.com - do a search there, ton's of people have done this and have pictures to illustrate what it requires.
Eric
Old 07-29-2005, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: