Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need a Engine Rebuild Success Story

I'm in need on an engine rebuild success story.

I'm rebuilding my 1.7 to a 2056, going from FI to Dellortos, paid $600 for the car and have put $4500 into the rebuild (carbs (ACE rebuilt, clutch & pressure plate, piston & cylinders, heads (Hoffman automotive), etc...

I'm doing the motor myself (first one ever), with the help of Jakes video and lot of patience. But as summer slips by, and the light at the end of the 914 tunnel fades. The light at the nissan 350Z dealer brightens with the thoughts of evil-baying my stock of 914 parts.

I'm in need of a fellow 914 (perferably another rookie like me) with a nice success story. Are their any out there??????
Old 08-17-2005, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'll chim in. I had a shop do my rebuild (basically stock) and I now have almost 40,000 on it. I take my kayak to the harbor on top of my 914 and drive between 100 and 300 miles a day (in the 914) for work. It is the best car ever. I am also in the process of building a new motor for mine. I have yet to decide the size or any other detail. Now it is between a 78 X 90 or a 78 X 96. If this continues to be the daily I will probably go with the X 90. However now that we have 2 incomes there may be a new car in our future for a total of three. Then my build does not need to be as economical, and I'll probably go with the X 96 or larger. Is my car a success story? I would say yes every time it starts in the mornong (99%) and gets me to my various places with the biggest grin.
I love to drive my car. Put together you motor and enjoy.
Nick
Old 08-17-2005, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
It will never work! Get out while you can.

I can send you "pre-paid' shipping labels if you want to get rid of all that Junk. p.s. make sure you throw in the Jake Raby video, cause I want one of those too.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-18-2005, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You can do it!

I rebuilt the top end of my 2.0 a couple of years ago. I had the cyls. bored out to 96mm and put in KB 96mm pistons. It was not all that difficult. I have been very happy with the results. I did stick with the FI and original cam. This was the first engine that I had attempted to dive this deep into, other than small engines. With the help of Jake's video and the resources on this board, you should have no trouble at all.

Good Luck,

Pritchard

1974 Silver 914 2056cc
Old 08-20-2005, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, I'm doing it top to bottom. I began in March, so its been long winded. But, with all the nightmare stories, I;ve seen in other posts I wanted to hear some positive ones.

Todd
Old 08-21-2005, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have done 2 and both track engines ...... both still running, the 2056 is awsome....911 killer.
Balance everything and be carefull with the Torque specs. The case is the critical assembly step.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
i am in the process of building up a stock 2.0L d-jet motor. like you, mine is a VERY slow process due to lack of time and extra $$$'s. i am saving for a Triad muffler as one of the last hurdles to cross. i also post on the 914club board and my present avatar is the motor as of mar 05 but i have made some progress since then but haven't updated the avatar yet. keep the faith hope this is a bit of encouragement.
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 08-23-2005, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I rebuilt a 1.7 with web cam( forgot type but a little wilder than stock), trick coatings (barrier coat on piston tops and teflon on the skirts), Matching pusrods and new rockers with elephant feet adjusters. Lightened flywheel and everything balanced. 3 angle valve job with stiffer springs. Hi cap oil pump . New riming gear. 2.0 headers and muff.

Great engine and much more power. It was a rich running motor since I could not effectively tune the FI grenade to lean it out. No leaks.
I think it had at least the power output of a new 914 but I think a bit more. My brother (240lbs.) and I (200lbs.) got it up to 119 mph. with hardly a strain. It wasn't a 911 but I still wish I hadn't sold it. Ran cooler too with the coatings and that probably accounted for the slightly rich running. It also didn't leak oil.

Used the book How to Tune and Modify VW engines and the Haynes manual to rebuild it.How to Tune-is kind of like Waynes 911 book, excellent.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: