Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question about towing a 914

I just purchased "another" parts car and I will need to tow it home (about 250 miles).

I was wondering if there are any issues with me renting a dolly-type car carrier. This is the one where the front wheels are cradled but the rear wheels will remain on the ground.

My primary concern is the transmission. The car has decent tires but I'm going to bring a set of my own wheels just in case but I am not sure if you can damage the transmission by towing.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.....................Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-24-2005, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You can tow using a dolly. I dollied mine to San Diego from Santa Barbara. As long as you are in neutral with the emergency brake off you should have no problems.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I prefer using a dolly. Easier to get the car on and off if you are alone.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys! Now if I can just get U-Haul to rent me one - they seem to always be out of everything.

Vern
Old 08-24-2005, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Try calling their main number. They will track one down for you.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just in case you're a cheap bastard....

I was in a discount tool store in town (American Tool Exchange, sort of a down market version of Harbor Freight) and they had a bumper tow kit for something like $30 or $40. The trailer hitch has metal arms which extend back to a pair of quick-release pivot pieces, which can be bolted onto a 2x6 or something, which in turn can be bolted onto the bumper mounts. I would imagine that this is about the same ballpark as renting a tow dolly, and since you mentioned that this isn't your first parts car....
Old 08-25-2005, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Well, it turns out that I have a friend with a car trailor that I can borrow -cause, yes I am a cheap bastard!

I'll spend it in gas though............................................ ..Vern
Old 09-02-2005, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: