Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to tmblackflag Send a message via Yahoo to tmblackflag
My rear end appears to be leaking....

i own a 1976 914.

do these things even have a rear end or is it just the tranny? It all looks a little confusing as i own a 1991 mustang and its so easy to work on!

Anyhoo i bought this car from my uncle. It unforunately sat for awhile and has two leaks. One i have identified as the rear right brake caliper and i purchased a rebuild kit from PP to try and do that myself. The second i am unsure of. It appears to be coming from what i believe to be the rear end.

At the back of the rear end beside the dust boot is appears to be leaking from that gasket. The round gasket the size in diameter of the rear end ( or transaxle or whatever it is called )

Can this be changed myself? What is involved in doing so. What is the name of that seal so i can look for it.

Here is a link including a picture with a line i have drawn in over the gasket. Please note the line is a bit off the gasket in some places.

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/7540/rearend3uh.jpg
Old 08-24-2005, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'm sure this is a repair that can be done by the home mechanic. Ther is a post on this same page about replacing syncros and it states that the rear cover comes right off.

I have never done this myself so I would wait until some of the experts chime in. You may also want to get yourself a good repai manual.

Vern
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 08-24-2005, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

peice of cake, drain the fluid, pull the speedo cable, support the tranny. disconnect the mounts to the body. undo a bunch of nuts pull the cover off, panic when reverse falls on the ground, clean up the surface, install new gasket figure out how reverse goes in, put cover back on, install nuts and torque, reconnect tranny mounts fill tranny, reconnect speedo, go for a drive. then do it again to fix the leak where it is actually coming from.

take the car to the car wash and pressure clean the car, drive it home and look for the leak.

BTW the have a tech article for repairing the first gear here, it will tell you how to open it up.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_tranny_repair/914_tranny_repair.htm
Old 08-24-2005, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

First you could try just snugging up all the nuts all the way around, that might be enough to stop the oil seepage.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: