Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy 3 cylinders again !!!! HELP

i posted on here a while ago about this recurring problem on my 914.

had motor built 2 years ago, but it always ends up running on 3, number 4 cylinder going down each time.

there is perfect compression, good spark, new perfectly set up carbs.

took the car back to the engine builders..... got it back and it seemed to run good. he said it was the ht leads. i was sceptical to say the least. set off on journey home (200 miles)

engine nice and warm about half way so i decided to see what it was made of..... lots of white (i think, it was night) smoke on hard acceleration.

drove on, got home, put car in lock up. went and got drunk.

started the car next day and guess what.... 3 cylinders, no number 4.

please help. i am losing patience fast.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
When you say perfect compression and good spark, have you checked those things out this particular instance? Is the spark good to all four cylinders? Does pulling the HT leads off the plugs (only one at a time of course) make a difference to the way it idles? If there is only one that makes no difference, then that is indeed a "dead hole".

Just because your carbs are new doesn't mean they're set up perfectly for your application--usually they're not correct right out of the box. You might want to go through them and check them out--how are the idle jets doing? Webers seem to clog at the drop of an excuse...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-29-2005, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yes, all checked. carbs installed and set up for the car and tuned by engine builders. pulling ht off number 4 makes no difference. the others do.

one suggestion is some sort of oil surge fouling the plug. cant see it myself. this is a reccuring problem with many different carbs, different ignition, even after a top end rebuild! i think there is something mechanically wrong but i just cant see what it is.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

sometimes you can carefully pull the spark plug lead away from the plug a little and it makes a hotter spark that will fire marginal spark plugs, fouled from oil or bad gas. If you do it and you hear the 4th cyl kick in, just replace the plug and you should be good to go.... give it a try. I usually loosen it with the engine off, then start it and pull the lead back a little at a time. If there is indeed spark, you'll hear it arcing. if you get it too far away you can get spark bit so handle it with something that insulates you!
Old 08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanks i will try it. cant help but think that if i replace the plug then it will just happen again though, at some point.

probably sooner than later.

does anyone ever have trouble using those crane ignitions? thats what is on there. maybe that is screwed up. i did try reverting back to a 009 once already though......
Old 08-29-2005, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
How do the plugs look?

--DD

Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i have to admit that i aint taken em out yet. i left the car in disgust and went to work.

my point is though, that even if i put new plugs in then this will most likely happen again, and again, and again. ad infinitum.

it seems odd that its always #4 that goes down, even after a top end rebuild, and was just wondering if anyone has heard of this before - ie is it a known problem?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
If the plugs look black and sooty, that means you're too rich. If they look whitish and dry, you're too lean. If they're covered with black tarry gunk, you've got oil getting into the combustion chamber... Figuring out which if any of these is going on will give you a direction in your investigation as to what is going on.

--DD

Old 08-30-2005, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

thanks dave. i will be a couple of weeks before i can get back to the car... work work work.

if its ok with you i will put you on my buddy list and pm you when ive checked.

thanks again !
Old 08-30-2005, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I must agree,

I had too big an idle jet in my 2056 and it would run great for a while then BAM!! fouled plugs seemed like a dead hole. Also had big problems with a certain plug I used....HGK 8 somthing. Changed over to the platnium +4 plugs and never a dead hole again.

Josh
Old 08-30-2005, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

well that sounds just like me.

mine is 2056 with weber 40 carbs. it also seems to drink the gas.

what idle jets did you put in?

thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

cylinder4 problems...

I did a rebuild on 912E , first ever....with a T4 engine from a 914.

All OK , after a long and painful rebuild...started it and so on... I was SO HAPPY It started nicely , and with the accelerator I kept it running....

Then started to worry , couldnt get it running smoothly.Started pulling plug wires , one at a time.

And VOILA , number 4 is dead !!!!!

Havent had a chance to investigate more . The only thing I did check is the plug.It is brand new.Looks good , and there is a good visible spark , when cranking , and holding it against engine ground.Also replaced the sparkplug wire , no help.

Running also webers , 44s. And ignition is 050 , with PERTRONIX.

Will do more investgating later this week , or coming weekend.

Is there a cylinder 4 virus out there??!!

E K I
Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

At best my car drinks the go go juice, but I fear alot of that is related to my right foot and how far down I allow it to go. So far as my jet sizes are concerned I have (I am 90% sure here as it has been a while since I looked) I want to say I am 50 on the idle and 160 on the mains and they are 44's. I have a scat c-35 cam and flycut heads and all the other goodies you can get.

Going 6er now so it willall be up for sale this winter.....

Good luck

Josh
Old 08-31-2005, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Today started to investigate.Took out the airfilter from left carb.Sprayed in some starting fluid , to cylinder 4.

IMMEDIATELY STARTED TO RUN MORE EVENLY !!! SO now I am kind of thinking , that I must have a blocked/faulty idlejet? Or ?

And now some help needed..... webers are not familiar to me , at all..... which one is the idlejet? What can I do myself? Take it out , how ? Clean it? How ? Buy a new one ?

Thanks in advance !!!

e k i
Old 09-01-2005, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Cleaned the carb , TWICE ! Finally got it running on all 4 cylinders.I do not know WHAT was wrong with the carb.I did not see anything special in there. Some build up of s..t was visible around mainjets , and some on idlejets too.

I think I should replace all Jets , just to be sure.....

To Martylove , Try changing the carbs from one side to the other??

Atleast you could eliminate the carb ? Or pinpoint it to the carb?

e k i :
Old 09-11-2005, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
If weber 44s are like weber 40s and I think they are, there is a series of two needle-screws at the bottom of each barrel, bigger ones you can turn by hand toward the middle of the carb, that adjust the amount (volume) of air/fuel mix at idle and low speed, and smaller locking needle screws that adjust the amount of air in this mix On my 40 IDA webers, I read in the Weber handbook about how those smaller setscrews should be about 2.5 turns out from the bottom I reset mine (they were bottomed out) and it helped my gas mileage as well as throttle response.
I've ALSO had #4 failure. My stinking sparkplug wires do not seat well. I swear the thing jumps offsometimes (after some righteous use). Push the insulator down the wire and check that the wire clicks on firmly, (pliers to tighten it up?) then slide the insulator and air control ring back down over the spark plug.

My gallery page
Old 09-14-2005, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

if it's the carb, couldn't you swap your carbs and verify that bad cylinder has migrated to cylinder which now has #4's carb?

'74 1.8
Old 09-15-2005, 01:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

i tried a few different carbs with no result. ive got loads kicking round the lock up now..... ebay time! maybe i should get some better leads, perhaps even the crane ones if im using that ignition system???

still have to check it all out properly this time, but it has been the same story for 2 years now so a loose lead would be somewhat annoying. 2 summers missed because of that.

thanks for all your suggestions, i will keep you posted.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

if it's the idle jet, then when you go to the mains at about 3000 rpm's #4 will kick in, and you'll be on all 4 again.

no need for new jets, clean is clean. you just need a better fuel filtering system.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

ok so took the plug out aand it was totally sooted up, the whole end was black and dry, with a bit of oil on the last couple of threads.

changed the plug, lead etc.

guess what - nothing

on idle or when revving the nuts off it.

so, compression, fuel and spark. the other 3 run great lol.

i give up. cursed
Old 09-24-2005, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: