Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Getting ready to do some work on the 914

Hi. It's been a few months since I've had a chance to work on my 72. I'll be able to put some money in the car in the next few months.

Here's the list of things I need to do to it.

1. Rebuild the brakes. Re-drill for 5 lug Fuchs.
2. Convert/rebuild tranny to a side shift.
3. Build my 2258 (96x78)
4. Send car to a good body man to take a look at the gap on the passenger door.

My main reason for posting is that I love the look of the flared 914's. What I'm wondering is how much it would cost me to get some fiberglass flares installed?. Also, who in the Central Valley would have the expertise to install them?. Or do I need to go to LA to get it done?. The only thing that scares me about getting the car flared is if I will ruin it being that the body is very very straight. Or should I enjoy it as-is?. This BTW is my first 914.

I've stripped the body to the metal and found very little bondo. So I hope the body man will have a clean surface to work with. He will most likely need to re-sand the car for his own work.

I've attached a few recent pics of the car. I pulled it out of the garage cause i'm selling my house, and taking it to my uncle's place...
Old 09-02-2005, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What's the gap on the passenger door all about?

Phil
Old 09-03-2005, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Here's the gap on the driver's side. It's 1/8".

The passenger side is 1/16"

At the point where the targa top attaches to the body, I have 1/8" less distance on the passenger side than the driver side.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If the doors are centered in the body frame such that the gaps at the top of the doors are essentially equal to the gaps at the bottom of the doors and the doors are otherwise aligned horizontally, then you don't have a problem. I guess that goes without saying. But, what I mean is, if there is a 1/8th inch gap at the top of the door, as long as the bottom of the door is essentially 1/8th inch, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if the door on the opposite side of the car had 1/16 inch gaps top and bottom, I still don't think it is a bid deal, especially with a 914.

Phil
Old 09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Phil. I just measured the gaps on both doors. All the gaps are 1/8", except the top of the passenger door which has the 1/16" gap.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hey Eddie,

Go to see you posting again. If you're getting started on the car and need any help, let me know. It would be great to see your car on the road.

Later,

Allan
Old 09-04-2005, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Headrage
Hey Eddie,

Go to see you posting again. If you're getting started on the car and need any help, let me know. It would be great to see your car on the road.

Later,

Allan
Allan, nice to hear from you again!. I'll let you know what's going on for sure. It would be nice to see a some 914's get together locally.

At this point I want to get the car running ASAP; so my first motor build may end up being a smaller one than a 2258. I have a good 1.7 core that can be built into a 1911 with a Tangerine header and some 40 idf's, and some 42x36 valved heads.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I wish we could get a group together. I know of at least 5 people with teeners here and one in Taft but I either can't catch them when I see them or they are not real receptive. There is a 16 year old kid that has a /6 conversion he bought from his uncle. You may already know him but if not you can see it at Stockdale Automotive & Electric on Stockdale Hwy. just west of Real Rd.

Lemme know if you need anything. I have some good contacts for parts..

Allan
Old 09-04-2005, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I'd definately like to get a group together here. At this time I'm also getting a group of VW owners together. At our first "Anti-Meeting" we were able to gather 12 cars for a local cruise.

I've seen a burgundy 914 in town that drives around the SW near the DMV. I know of that 914/6 conversion but never meet the kid or the previous owner.

Did you finish adapting the bumpers on your car?

Later,

Eddie.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Eddie,

If all four gaps on both doors, top rear and bottom rear and top front and bottom front, are 1/8 inch, except the top rear of the passenger door which is 1/16th inch then you might leave things as they are or begin body panel alignment. I'm a stickler for evening out panal gaps.
If you want to tackle it here is what I would do; Loosen all 6 of the passenger door hinge bolts, move the front of the door up and down so as to equalize the top rear, top front and bottom rear gaps so that the overall panel alignment looks more balanced. You also have to make sure that the door opens and closes without the front door edges touching. Panel alignment is always a bunch of ajustments and reajustments not to mention time consuming work but it can be very pleasing to know that you have made your car look a lot better.

btw, it notice that the driver's door on your car is sagging about 1/16 inch. This is another panel alignment problem.

If you think door alignment might be difficult, try aligning the front hood with the body, the headlight buckets and the eyelids. It took me a couple of years restoring these teeners in order to learn how to do it.

Good luck with it,

Phil
Old 09-04-2005, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Phil. When you say panel alignment, are you referring to the rear body panel (ie. right pillar/right fender)?. If that's the case, does that whole panel have to come off?. Since this is a car that plan on keeping a long time, I need to do it right.

Thanks again Phil.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

No, I don't mean pillars, fenders and other fixed sheetmetal. When I refer to panels I mean doors, hoods, headlight covers, engine lids, etc.

Phil
Old 09-04-2005, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yep, just got done about an hour ago. Next time you get the bug guys together lemme know.

Allan
Old 09-04-2005, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Headrage

Yep, just got done about an hour ago. Next time you get the bug guys together lemme know.

Allan
September 17th @ Daniel's VW. 3pm.

Take care,

Eddie.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: