Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Did i gt dupped HELP!!!! Newbie here

Hello everyone ~ I have a few questions if anyone might be so kind to respond. A little history, i have owned 3 914's in the past. Two of which were scrap yard monuments and 1 which was very nice ~ ended up selling in 97 because of $$$. I recently purchased a car off of ebay and through many phone calls and discussions with the seller i managed to win the auction and took delivery of the car. Upon close inspection of the car i have realized a few things. Not all of the body panels line up, like the hood, headlights and rear trunk lid along with the engine lid. Now i didnt say they dont fit, they just arent lined up very well ~ the car had been painted before. Is this because of poor reassembly or are they just going to be that way?? I have also noticed that there is styrofoam located inside the inner rear fenders between the door jamb and the engine mounts. Was this placed there to prevent contamination of the door jambs which is all but impossible to get to when cleaning the car???? One more thing ~ there is alot of undercoating (not thick just alot of it) on the car. none of it seems to be bubbling or flaking off, but i pulled the battery out and lifted the tray it was sitting on, yanked on a piece of the undercoating and up it came to reveal the rust underneath. I am hoping this is an isolated occurance. Any suggestions on where i can look for further rust damage ?????
Old 09-23-2005, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I posted some pics

Here are some pics
Old 09-23-2005, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Realigning panels is just a trial and error kinda thing. If the panel has been off before, it prolly isn't right where it used to be anymore. Anyway, the bolt holes are elongnated in various ways to facilitate a little movement. I would just be wary of a pattern indicating the panals may have all been pushed the same direction (in an accident), or are closing in due to longitudinal rust.
If the battery tray lifted out, that is a sign of some needed repair. Depending on whats still there, you can reweld it back down or make some repair pieces to weld on or buy repro (or maybe even OEM) metal to rebuild that area around the battery. This is a notorious deterioration zone, and you can't ignore it or the car breaks in half (which will really ruin your day).

My gallery page
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If the rear trunk lid is higher on one side, check your hinge mounts. One of mine was broken. I cleaned it up and welded it back in the right place to fix.

Do check for rust very thoroughly under the battery tray... along the wall, down low, forward...

Pull the passenger side rocker panel off (drill out the rivets along the top, unbolt the rear bracket). From underneath, poke around with an ice pick or screwdriver... bottom of frame rail all along from under door to engine compartment. Under firewall. This whole area is the most important... there's more after that...
Old 09-23-2005, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

More places to look:

Peel back the carpet from the bottom of the longitudinal. Check for rust through just above the floor pan. It rusts there from the inside of the tube to the outside. Particularly prominent in the notch that is shaped to fit the hand brake handle.

There is a crossmember just under the front of the seats. Mine is covered with vinyl. Pull it back and check it out. Again worst spot is where it joins the longs.

rear trunk floor around the tail lights.

Mine was heavily undercoated. In addition there was about a 1/4 inch of asphalt like material on the floors. That floor stuff is notorious place for rust to creep - it was laid down on bare metal before the car was painted. Popular advice is to get the stuff off and treat the metal with POR15. If it is not rusting now it will. Try doing a little scraping right where the metal posts that anchor the carpet come up.

Dunno about the styrofoam. What you describe doesn't sound stock. They did use sort of spray foam - particularly noticiable in the top corner - again - turned out to be an excellant rust breeding grounds. Do you have a picture?

BTW mine has no undercoating in the engine compartment. If you pulled up stuff under the battery I would guess that was aftermarket or somebody's attempt to hide rust damage. Get it out of there and retreat the metal.

73?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice, i have pulled back the carpet on the inside and do not see any rust, what i do see is undercoating. After looking over the car completely i have not noticed any signs of any significant rust or deterioration. It apears that the vehicle was undercoated from the get-go. I am going to do a complete restoration on the vehicle from the ground up over the next couple of years or decades as my budget allows. I ran a magnet over the car were the usual rust spots were and low and behold i have only found one spot that the magnet doesnt stick to very well which usually is a result from heavy body filler (BONDO ). I am guessing that i should pull the carpet and foot panels etc off first to try and expose just how much i may have gotten into. Any suggestions on dismantling order would also be greatly appreciated. The car does run great and shifts well through all gears, it doesnt appear that the car has been abused but you just never know. Unfortunately i am on the rust coast and i am sure to find my friend (rust) along the way. Its great to have a place to be able to discuss potential problems with other teeners.
p.s. the only part of the battery tray that lifted off or seperated was a section on the top of the tray about 3"x4" roughly, the rest of the tray is solid. You were right ~~~ the trunk hinge mount is busted and appears to have broke from fatigue, no rust there. Does anyone reccomend using the aftermarket shocks for the trunk lid???? As soon as i get some pics of the foam i am talking about i will post them ~~~ i read another topic on undercoating and they seemed to describe the foam blocks perfectly, seems the undercoating people used to put blocks between the rear door jamb and the engine mount and then seal them and all there edges with tar to prevent rust. As stated though, as long as it allstays intact your ok, but one breach in the seal and your rustin

Thanks for the comments and i look forward to more.

Peace out
Old 09-23-2005, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: