Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
APorsche914

2.0L problems

ok guys, i need your help, i have a '73 2.0L and i put the engine in, wired all the stuff, like the fuel pump and the coil. it has 32/36 progressive carb on it, new coil, points, condencer, dirtributor cap, and plug wires. i first tried to start it and i wasnt getting any spark, thats why i replaced all the ignition stuff. its been sitting for a little over a year. i tried starting it earlier today(thurs) and finally i got this huge backfire, i took off the distributor and turned the engine over half a rotation and put the distributor back in, its got a sport distributor on it. after i did that i got it to pop, out the exhaust, like trying to fire, twice and that was it, i cant get it cranked. i need help, any ideas on what could be wrong or something i missed????...any info is greatly appreciated. thanx a million.

p.s. thanx wayne on all your help up to this point.

[This message has been edited by APorsche914.]
Old 08-20-1998, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
First check that the static dwell/timing is set right. I don't have my books with me (you really should have at least a Haynes manual, $15, cheap) but I think it is something like .04" gap on the points with #1 at top dead center. I find TDC by either using the hatch mark on the flywheel or look down the spark plug hole (you can "just" see the top of the piston). Don't quote me on the procedure, I'm just giving you an idea to see if you did it or not. Roughly the vac canister should be over the mounting bolt, of course if you have a "009" then you don't have a vac can. After the dizzy I would clean out/rebuild the carb. A rebuild kit (with no accel diaphram )is about $35-$40. I completely disassembled my 32/36 and reused the gaskets but I haven't had time to put it on my freinds car to see if it works. The car it came from ran alful, the reason was a huge amount of rust in the bottom of the fuel bowl. Another thing that can screw things up is if the valves aren't timed right, but if the car used to run then they should be close enough. Does the engine run on starting fluid, it should run evenly for 10-15 seconds at least, or does it just pop-a-pop-chug-chug-pop-etc. If it just catches every once in a while and backfires excessively, then it is probably the timing is WAY off. Don't forget the static timing is a dwell and timing setting that will just get you running, as soon as the motor warms up set the dwell THEN the dynamic timing (dwell meter and timing light/gun) if not you will either loss power due to retarded timing or burn up the motor and/or detonate due to too advanced timing.
Old 08-20-1998, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like the Plug wires are on wrong. Simple Fix.
Old 08-21-1998, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
APorsche914

ok, i have another question, if im looking at the top of the engine.....

front of the car

*? *?
*<~coil
*? *?

rear of the car

how do the wires hook???

Old 08-21-1998, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
APorsche914

KICK @SS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....i got it running, all it took was at lot of starting fluid and a few hit and miss tries on the plug wires, not to mention the recharging of the battery alot of times, but i finally got it running!!!!!!!!!!..thanx for the advive guys and wayne for supplying me with parts.!
Old 08-21-1998, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: