Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned for Life

Garage
Rear trunk light always on with running lights

Being new to the teen-scene, I noticed that when ever I have parking, or headlights on, the rear trunk light is on as well. I have one of the factory installed PORSCHE red rear stips between the tail lights if that makes any difference - but don't see how it could. I do not see a switch in the trunk to deactivate - where is it hiding or is it some German plot to burn out bulbs quickly?
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rear trunk light is always on with running or headlights.
CCL
Old 04-26-2006, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
What Craig said. (Wow, I'm saying that a lot lately!)

In addition, the red plastic "PORSCHE" reflector was not a Factory option. It is either an aftermarket piece made specifically for a 914, or (more commonly) a 911 reflector cut down to fit the 914.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-26-2006, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Dave (or Craig - because you two are becoming interchangable) I have a button under the dash to open the rear trunk (because as you know - the push botton was removed from the back of the car). Seems like someone went a lot of trouble to add a cutdown reflector. Is this a common modification? I personally don't care for it, but if it is sought after or considered valuable, I will keep it (reluctantly).

Thanks for the answer on the light - I find it very strange that they didn't install a switch.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's not an uncommon modification. The electrical solenoid trunk release is very common for cars with the reflector added on.

Hopefully it also has an emergency release, because it's a pain to get into the trunk when the solenoid stops working.

There are probably extra holes in the rear panel to mount the reflector. You may wind up needing to keep it in order to have something that fills the holes.

--DD

Old 04-28-2006, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Dave, do you have any feel for desirability of these type of reflectors?

I will look for an emergency release or try to add one.

Thanks
Rick
Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Some people don't like 'em, some do. The people who add them are the type who like them, I personally am of the "don't" camp.

I guess that's a "no good feel", then...

--DD

Old 04-28-2006, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Get a pin switch from local auto alarm dealer or RS. Attach the ground wire to the pin switch and position the switch so it opens ( and closes the circuit) when the rean lid is opened.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Jim, great solution.

Yeah, Dave the rear panel has 4 holes for the reflector mounting and a nice rubber plug for the former lock assembly. Doubt I will pop for welding them up and repainting. I will live with "the horror". Maybe I will just black it out and see how that looks. Not into advertising...
Old 04-29-2006, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I sold one of those in perfect unused condition on Ebay for a staggering $345.00. Then I made one that doesn't say Porsche and it looks great. Cost $15.00. This is how I justify having too many cars. Pete
Old 04-30-2006, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by JimHoyland
Get a pin switch from local auto alarm dealer or RS. Attach the ground wire to the pin switch and position the switch so it opens ( and closes the circuit) when the rean lid is opened.
You'll have to find an independant power supply for the light, then. It is tied into the parking light circuit (only gets power when the parking lights or headlights are on), and the power for the license plate lights goes through one pin of the rear trunk light.

--DD

Old 04-30-2006, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: