Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine rebuild of 1.7L for AC intallation

I plan on rebuilding a 1972 1.7L engine. The car originally had AC which I plan on reinstalling (missing from the car now). I have a purchased a DPD system like the original. I want to keep the stock FI system and want to keep everything else as stock as possible, but with the addition of the AC, what can I do do increase the power to accommodate the AC, or with the new compressors do I need to do anything outside of stock? I realize larger pistons/jugs are available but at what cost and risk? The objective is is not a rocket ship but a good driver with good reliability and the ability of the engine to cope with Florida summers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Use a newer A/C compressor like a Sanden 508 and a WOT (wide open throttle) switch.

If you stop on the gas it will kill the juice to the compressor giving you all 85horses to get you going

IIRC there is not much difference in $$$$ when rebuilding a 2.0L or a 1.7L.. Find a tired 2.0L and rebuild that if you are in the mood to do a rebuild.

The best bang for your $$ is to by a 2.0+ L off someone who is doing a SIX or suby conversion.. I bet you can get one for less then $1000 running..A rebuild will be much more.

Cheers and best of luck

914-6 in the Werks
Old 05-02-2006, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
An idle bypass might not be a bad idea, too, while you're at it. That's an electrically-operated valve that lets "some" air go from the air cleaner into the manifold. You wire it so that it is open when the compressor is running. If it's the right size valve, it can keep your idle nice and steady when the compressor cycles on and off.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, but if we decide not to go for a 2.0L, but stick with the 1.7L (like to keep it mostly stock), will increasing the displacement with larger drop-in pistons/cylinders even be noticed in dealing with the AC? Bottom line is I am not after faster acceleration but more concerned on dealing with the compressor load.

I like the suggestion of the full throttle switch.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The load imposed by a modern compressor like the Sanden is less than 3 HP, if I recall correctly. Figure a stock 1.7 is good for ~80 HP, and a stock 1.8 for ~76 HP. Can you live with your 1.7 feeling like a 1.8 while the AC is on?

The "slip-in" 96mm cylinders for the 1.7s are very thin--not so good for durability. It is usually regarded as a better idea to get the kit meant for 1.8s, which have thicker cylinder walls, and get your heads cut to fit the new cylinders.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-03-2006, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Where can you buy a WOT (wide open throttle) switch?

Gord
Old 05-04-2006, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks to all that replied. It seems outside of getting a 2.0L, a 1.7L (in top stock condition) with a modern compressor and perhaps the wide open throttle switch can do the job with AC. My objective to keep the car stock with minimal modifications. However, if a 2.0L complete engine that is not trashed (just tired and needs a rebuild) became available for a decent price, I could be persuaded. Anyone got one close to southwest Florida?

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 05-05-2006, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: