Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

MSD CD Units

Does anyone out there have any experience with the MSD CD units (the ones that provide multiple sparks per combustion cycle)?

Pelican and Automotion claim H.P. increases in the neighborhood of 10%.

I assume best results are obtained with carbs but would like to know if it is a worthwhile mod to a 2.0 FI.
Old 08-24-1998, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Be wary of "instant HP" claims. Even from Pelican. (No offense intended, guys!) I'd bet that they are both simply quoting MSD's literature on this, and you *know* that the manufacturer set up their test to show off their product the best.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if you did see a very small increase in power, particularly if your ignition system is not in the greatest shape.

Depending on exactly which setup (and how much voltage the coil generates), you may be able to open up your plug gaps and see another small increase in power. Again, we're probably talking very small unless something is wrong with your current system.

Finally, *anything* you can do to get rid of your points is a good thing. They are a pain in the butt to set properly, and they are definitely a "wear item". Every time they generate a spark at the plugs, they wear out a little.

Even the setups that keep the points, but only use them as a trigger with a very small current (as opposed to having them pass all the current that goes to the coil) are good. The points can last 30K miles that way. A big improvement over 6K-10K.

All MHO, of course, but I really *hate* points. One reason is that I kept burning them for no reason that I could find, every few HUNDRED miles. Several sets of points and condensors later, I switched to a Crane/Allison optical ignition. And never looked back.

--DD
Old 08-25-1998, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes the benefits are not as great with a FI but it will run better. I run one on a carb 2.0. I have several friends who also race with FI and they all run MSD also. Get the 6AL with rev limiter, works great. MSD's are sensitive to the kind of plug wires you run, buy their brand for fewer problems.
Old 08-26-1998, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: