Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replacing FI with carbs.

I'm tired of messing with my FI. I have tried all your helpful posts regarding my poor running 1.7 (Many Thanks!) I now would like some advice on size/type of carbs. Webers or Dell's? 40MM? Can 44's be jetted down to work with a stock 1.7? What about the stock cam with carbs?
My long term goal is a large 2.7l 4 cylinder with 44's or aftermarket FI.
Old 08-14-1998, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yo Vic... I wish I had more knowledge in this area so I could better advise you. However, by me posting this response, you will now go back to the top of the list where you stand a better chance of getting a response. By the way, how is your brother doing on his engine removal? Good Luck!
Old 08-19-1998, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
APorsche914

your best bet vic would be to go with weber 40's and a cam made for carbs, the stock cam wont work to well, i prefer web racing cams,....they have nice stuff. im sure you could call them and tell them what u have and what youre doing and they could hook u up with the right cam. hope this helps.
Old 08-19-1998, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Please be careful about recommending Wayne's competition before figuring out if he can help. Remember who hosts this great site for us !
Old 08-21-1998, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The common consensus on which carb to use is Webers. I don't know why, if they're easier to re-jet or tinker on, or if they're cheaper, or what. I'm not into carbs.

Common consensus is that on a stock or slightly-modified 2.0, the 40s are enough and the 44s are too much. I would think that 44s would be serious overkill for a 1.7, and probably would never run right. As a point of reference, the Porsche factory put Solex 38s (might have been 36es, but I think it was 38s) on the Euro-spec (high-compression) 1.8 914.

However, 44s or even 48s would be more appropriate for the 2.7 monster you are contemplating. The 40s would almost certainly not be able to feed that big a motor.

I have a friend with a 200 HP 2.05-liter 914 motor. He uses Weber 48s, and runs over 7000 RPM most of the time. I seem to remember that his car doesn't really idle at all, though.

You can talk to a lot of people on the carbs and cams issues. Web-cam would be a good place to talk about cams, most likely. Pelican sells their products, so perhaps Wayne and Tom have some ideas.

--DD
Old 08-21-1998, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am tossing my fi also. Does webcam have a website. I got an email from a webberdoc once. Who is he. He seemed to know his stuff. He recommended 44s.
Old 08-21-1998, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Author of "101 Projects"

44s are way too big for your 2.0L, BJ. You will be dumping way too much fuel in your car, and then it will run really rich and not perform too well. Most people who put 44s on their cars eventually switch back. You need to have an efficient match in order to get the best performance...

-Wayne
Old 08-28-1998, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: