Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Proper way to replace a fuel filter?

How should I have done this. I had the car parked. I had just washed it and I decided to replace the inline Mahle fuel filter with a new one.

So, I loosened the clamps. Then I pulled one side of the filter out of the hose and then started on the other side. Of course, the POS plastic nipple broke off in the hose. Now, I have a slow flow of gas coming from the supply side hose. In my mind, I was going to be F1 pit crew fast on putting the new one in so I didn't clamp the line. In retrospect, I'm an idiot. It took me a few minutes to get the old plastic nipple out and then get the new filter on. In those few minutes, I spilled some fuel.

How would you have done this better?

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Paul, I think you know, but this is the trick that I use.
I use a set of small needle nose vise grips on both lines at the filter.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yup clamp the hoses. if you end up damaging the hoses you needed new ones anyway.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Lesson learned.

What kind of clamps are you using?

I think that I'll end up using AN lines and Canton filters with a removable element. Seems cleaner and better.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 02-19-2007, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
"Fuel injection clamps". They are shaped like a letter Omega (kind of horse-shoe with the ends of the 'U' bent in) with a screw through the ends. The sides of the clamp have rolled-up edges so the clamp does not cut into the hose.

Those are the original style clamps; they are available a wide variety of places. Using the common worm-screw type clamps is not recommended; they will cut into the hose (they are designed to!) and typically don't help high-pressure hose last very long.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-19-2007, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Does Pelican sell them?

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I suspect that this is an appropriate one. The part number cross-references to this clamp, though.

--DD

Old 02-23-2007, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

OHHHH. I thought you were talking about something completely different.

I thought you were talking about a clamp so that fuel didn't flow out while you were changing the filter. I have normal hose clamps to hold the hose on the filter.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
"Normal hose clamps"--the worm-gear type that is common in the US--cut into the hose. Not so good on a hose that carries high pressure toxic flammable liquid. The FI hose clamps have rounded edges and do not have the "slices" in the middle for the threads on the worm-gear. No hose slicing, so the risk of leaks is reduced.

I recommend using the "proper" clamps. (You can find them at some FLAPS, too.)

--DD

Old 02-24-2007, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The lines to-and-from the fuel filter aren't under high pressure. You should, however, use the correct hose clamps.

The Cap'n
Old 02-27-2007, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: