Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

So...what happens if you dont install all the flywheel shims?

HI Everyone

I will try to keep this long story short.

I admit, I don't understand the intricacies of the flywheel shim subject. Just before I installed my engine and trans this past weekend, I did a quick check of the flywheel clearance. Not understanding all this and wanting to get the engine installed, I definately did not give this the attention it may deserve.

With the flywheel mounted and torqued, I could not get any movement in the fore or aft direction when I pulled on the flywheel. So I removed one shim and tried again. This time I did get some movement and tried a crude measurement. I did not have the correct measurement tools or way to mount them anyway.

Also, I did all this with the O-ring in the flywheel and with no oil in the engine. Should this be done with oil in the engine given the really small clearances we are talking about here?

Anyway, in the end, I pulled one of the shims (now leaving two) and installed the engine. But the whole thing bugged me and I started looking into it a bit more.

And so now here I am, concerned, but not wanting to pull the trans.

Is it bad to have too much clearance?

Do I need to pull the trans and do this again?

If so, what do you mount your dial gauge to on the engine.

I can probably come up with a dial gauge that has a magnetic base. Of course the engine is aluminum so the only place I might be able to stick it is on the engine tin that goes over the transmission hump.

So how bad did I screw up?

Well, tried to keep it short... oh well!!

Best regards

Curt
Old 03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Too much play leads to even more play. Which means your crank assembly is slamming back and forth in the bore. Not so good, and you can render a case NFG that way if you let it go on enough.

You really, really want to have that play measurement in spec. There is a setup that lets you use feeler gauges to measure, but I was not able to get consistent results with it.

You can bolt some angle-iron onto one of the transmission studs to give your dial indicator something to grab onto. Just make sure the whole thing doesn't move while you're shoving and yanking on the flywheel!

It is important to have three shims, as they also act as bearings.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Dave

I guess its not so bad after all, I looked at the job to take the trans out and its no biggie I guess.

What do you think about not having any oil in the engine? I don't have the electrical hooked up yet, so is it worth it to put oil in the engine, hook up the starter and crank the engine with out sparkplugs to circulate the oil a bit? Is that what this 4 thou clearance is for, the oil?

And is that kind of clearance even perceptible when yanking and pushing on the flywheel? With the flywheel O ring in no less?

I dont know what I was thinking when I pulled that shim. The engine had been rebuilt by a very, and I mean a very reputable shop by the previous owner. It had the three shims in it. Thinking about it now, I'm bet they had it right.

OH well, live and learn.

Thanks again

Curt

Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The clearance is to allow for things to grow as the engine gets hot.
Not enough clearance and when the engine gets the bearinf will be so tight they will self destruct.

too big of a clearance and as Dave said it wil grow bigger each time you let out the clutch and apply power. "hammer the crap out of the bearings and case".

Oil film is not a biggy

DO you know what the clearance should be? Look in the factory manual and find out. Also those 3 shims are probably different thicknesses. So combinations of different shims will get you what you need.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

At least put the same 3 shims back in..

Or it's gunna cost you an engine. That might not be rebuildable.. EVER.

Cheers,

C
Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I was mistaken.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold

Last edited by Brother; 03-11-2007 at 12:05 PM..
Old 03-09-2007, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Jake sure as heck sells them. I don't see how you could delete them as they take up the slack between the flywheel and the rear of the case.

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 03-09-2007, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Raby doesn't use head gaskets--he does use the flywheel shims.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-09-2007, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My bad.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 03-10-2007, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: