Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I hate freight charges

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to village idiot
Another tire question

Hi all! I just picked up a set of 16x6" and 16x7" Fuchs for my 74 914 and I plan to run 205/50-16 front and 225/50-16 rear tires. Does anyone see any potential problems with this combo?

For reference here's a pic of the rear of my car with my custom made 16x9.5" Fuchs with 245/45-16 tires borrowed from my 78 SC-RS project.

Note that at some point one of the previous owners modded the rear quarter panels. Probably to clear larger tires.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
78 911SC SC to 73RS imposter SCWDP crew #50 and 51
1969 Camaro "The new project"
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Looks kind of like SC flares on that 914. Yes, it can be done... No idea what size tires will fit decently under those particular fenders. Measure what you have, and see how much more room you need than what you have. At a guess, the 225s on 7s will be about 2.5"-3" narrower than what you have, though it depends a whole lot on the exact tires in each case. Figure half of that distance to each side of the rim (unless you know the differences in offset or backspacing), and then figure something like 1/4" extra room on each side for tire deflection and such. And you may need more than that 1/4"...

You're almost completely certain to get 205s on 7s under the rear fenders. They don't work on most 914s with stock rear fenders, unless some "heroics" are done, but those fenders look wider than stock. Maybe 215s will work, maybe even 225s. But it would be a very very good idea to measure first, before you buy the wheels and tires....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-09-2007, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
But it would be a very very good idea to measure first, before you buy the wheels and tires....

--DD
Thanks Dave!
Already have the wheels(couldn't pass up a deal, 4 for $250) I guess I'll rob the RS project of it's front tires and see how they fit.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Got some pics today after I bought some tires. Everything fits rather nicely and there's plenty of clearance!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Very nice! Are those the 225s?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I hate freight charges

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
Very nice! Are those the 225s?

--DD
Yup! 225/50-16's no issues to speak of and I may even try spacing the fronts out a bit (1"). Today I think I'll remove the bumperettes to clean up both ends of the car.

I also have a ducktail on the way. Then I'll leave it alone for awhile until my SC to RS conversion is near completion. Then who knows??

The SC will eventually receive a larger engine and the 3.0 will find it's way into the 914
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: