Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

engine timing help!

hello all

I just started to time my engine on my 74 914 1.8L and realized that the fan does not have any timing marks on it. Is there another way to time it with out using a timing light or the markings on the fan ??
On more question- The car has a progressive carb on it, when the car is idoling it seems to backfire a little or when downshifting gears. Also when it see sto have a weird exhaust leak phump phump sound but i cant see or feel any air shooting out from anywhere, but the car seems to drive fine when you floor it
any ideas?

Thanks
Manny
Old 10-21-2007, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
First, are you looking at the correct point on the fan? You need to remove the plastic plug on top of the fan shroud, and look through the hole. The timing mark(s) will be on the rear part of the fan, so that you have to practically stand on your head inside the engine bay to see them. Or use a mirror and a flashlight...

The single-carb setup is awful. Throw it away and find some duals.

You can stuff a rag in the exhaust and cover it while the engine is idling; if there's a leak you will really hear it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

most likely the exhaust leak is where the exhaust bolts up to the head. a copper gasket there can leak if not prepared properly.

there is a TDC mark on the flywheel, line that up, then I think there is a pic on Pelican that shows how to find the other marks. 3 1/2 fan blades, I think, is full advance on DJet, not sure of the Ljet requirement.

Dave's right, it's a balancing act. Best to replace points so you only have to do it once.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

tyming

hi, should be a red mark on the fan (1.8) eng. also in the flyweel or use your rotor it should be facing fwd bett. 12 d and no more than 27 d to the left if you are looking at it.

if you still have problems go to the automobile atlanta web page and look in the tech section you will found very good info.
good luck Ivan
Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I replaced the points in every air cooled car and been quite happy with the results, pertronix, some don't like them, take spare set of points and condensor in the rare event of a failure
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 10-28-2007, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: