Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

73 1.7 - Tachometer won't work.

I'm in the process of getting my farther-in-law's 914 on the road again. He passed away and the car sat outside for 7 to 10 years. Anyway... I'm trying to get the tach to work.. I know the problem isn't in the signal wire. Just wondering what the next step would be. The engine runs and fine, and besides the clutch, so does everything else... Is the problem in the wiring? ... or does the tach need replaced?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Make sure the black/purple (black with purple stripe) wire is hooked up to the (-) terminal on the coil. Make sure it's hooked up to the tach as well. And make sure that the ground and switched power are plugged into the back of the tach.

If there's a good connection through the black/purple wire, the red/white wire gets +12V when the key is on, and the brown wire has a good ground, then either your tach is bad or you have the wires plugged into the wrong places.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-20-2007, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: