Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy 3 mpg or so

Ok so I have a project fuel injected 74 914 2.0L, its also my first 914 and also my only car right now. Basicly my problems are that it takes me about ten min. to worm my car up before I can begin to drive it, and once I do start driving I only get 3 mpg or so. I also have very little power and a sputter at about 3,500 rpm. Now I dont have the best compression, from 95 to 115 pounds. I realize that I should have way better than that, but come on 3 mpg? I've pulled my spark plugs (one at a time) to check for a bad cylinder, but there all about the same. I do have a sensor on what I believe is the #2 cyclinder (the one on the top drivers side of the engine) that isn't plugged into anything. I've replaced my thermo time switch because my was brooken at the terminal. I had my valves, timming, and dwell adjusted at a vw shop. I have looked for leaks but can't see any. I don't smell anything inside the car, but outside it smells like burnt gas. I should say though that I dont have a muffler but instead a cherry bomb (not my idea). Oh and if that wasn't bad enough, I have a random vibration noice that seems to be coming from my intake. It's a completly random noice as for as I've been able to tell. So if anyone has any ideas what is going on with this car, please let me know.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sounds like the car is still injected. In that case, I would check:
- The head temp sensor. This should be near the #3 spark plug, one wire plugged into a square box connector. Unplug it, and see what the resistance is to ground, both cold and after the engine is warm. Should be around 3K ohms cold, around 100 ohms warm. If it's unplugged or very high resistance, you'll get a way way too rich mixture.
- The fuel pressure. Should be 29 PSI while the fuel pump is running. Too high will result in a rich mixture.
- The MPS. Should hold a 15" vacuum for ~10 minutes without leaking down. Use a hand vacuum pump with a gauge (e.g., MityVac) to check. You can suck on the hose to the MPS if you like (better make it a new or at least clean hose, YUCK!) but that will only tell you if it's really really really bad. A blown MPS will result in a rich mixture as well.

You can also check Brad Anders' D-jet page, at http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders . Just about everything that anyone currently knows about this EFI system is on that site.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: