Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What parts will swap between a 1.8 and a 2.0 engine?

Hello,

I'm new to the 914 scene and need some help figuring out what parts are common to the two different engines. I have a '74 with a 1.8 engine w/carbs and have an extra 2.0 shortblock engine that I acquired (assembled case (block, cam, crank) and heads, but no rocker arms, pistons, jugs, or anything else. Is there a list of common engine parts already available? I searched but came up blank.

I think the cooling tins will fit if I drill holes for the sparkplugs. How about the flywheel, fan assembly/housing/alternator? I don't believe the muffler will fit due to the longer stroker moving the heads out farther, but will the exhaust manifolds still fit? Are the rocker arms different on the 2.0 heads? How about the flywheel?

I would probably be better off to find a junk 2.0 engine to salvage but they aren't too easy to find in my area. Thanks in advance to anyone who can share their experiences.

Dave
Downstate ILL
current projects: '74 1.8, '87 Saab 900.
past projects: '77 911, 59 Bug ragtop, + 25 more too numerous to mention
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

cases and cranks are different. So are the heads. Flywheels and tin are the
same as well as the alternator and exhaust manifolds. Regarding the rocker
arms cross check those part # with bap.

71 914 2.0L
76 911S
81 911 SC
66 912 V8
Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Cases are, for all practical purposes, identical. The cooling tin will work if you relocate the plug holes. Alternator, flywheel, etc. are all the same. Fan is the same but is marked differently. Heads are different but swappable, rockers and such are the same between a 74+ 2.0 engine and a 1.8 engine. (I think some 73 2.0s had the smaller valve adjusting lugs.)

The complete exhaust (heat exchangers, muffler, muffler hanger) will bolt up as a unit. If your 1.8 is a 74, its exhaust is preferred to the 75-76 (1.8 or 2.0) exhaust.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-29-2007, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jess, Dave:

Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like I should be able to pilfer my 1.8 engine for most of what I will need.

Dave
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: