Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question How do I test a flasher relay?

I'm having a problem with my turn signals; they only work about 5% of the time. I decided to pull out the flasher relay and try to test it.

I hooked a jumper wire from terminal #49 directly to the battery, a wire from #31 to ground, and a digital volt meter from #49a to ground. I didn't connect anything to terminal #C, since it only powers the dash indicator lights.

Well, the relay didn't work when connected this way, so the question is "Do I have a bad relay, or did I test it incorrectly?"

Can anyone look at the schematic (page #173 of the Haynes manual) and tell me which is the case?

As always, I really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Howard Henneman
Old 09-18-2001, 05:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not sure about testing the flasher, but they are hard to find and the Porsche part from Hella is almost $40.00. These are 4 post flashers and you won't find them at most parts stores unless you're in California.

Try going to Radio Shack... They have a 4 post AUTO flasher relay that looks like it will work...Post back if this works. Has anyone seen the Radio Shack flasher besides me?

Good Luck...

Joe
Old 09-18-2001, 07:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Duh.... Admittedly, I'm a bit slow, but after taking another look at the wiring diagram I noticed that if I just used a jumper wire across terminal #49 and #49a on the socket (not the relay), the turn signal lights should turn on when I move the signal lever. Well, all the signal lights worked when I did this, so now I know for certain that the problem is in the flasher relay.

Hope this info helps someone else.

Howard
Old 09-20-2001, 05:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There is an oddity about the original 914 relay in that it also drives the handbrake warning light: despite only being a 1.5watt(?) bulb it still flashes at the regular interval. If you use a non-original relay the turn signals work fine but when the handbrake is on the relay emits a mad buzzing noise as it tries to flash the warning light at maybe 100 times a second. Doesn't do any damage, just irritating.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 09-20-2001, 10:00 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: