Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Short shift kit problems

I have a 73 2.0 with a short shift kit that the previous owner installed on the car. When trying to shift from third to fourth you almost always get second gear. I have even tried shifting directly to fifth from third and that doesn't work either. Once you actually get the car into fourth it will go to fifth and back to fourth no problem, it's getting there that is the problem.
It's almost as if the whole linkage is moved over to the right too far because come to think of it second gear is usually pretty much straight forward from first, but with this car you actually have to push it over a little.
Where should I look first, back at the tranny or up front at the shifter???

Anybody have likes or dislikes on these short shift kits???

Should I just put the stock setup back in???

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance...

Jason
Old 10-16-2001, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Jason,

Drive mine dude, it's perfect. No short shift, no hard reverse lockout....like butter! Have you driven it lately?

My vote...stock.

By the way though, we can probably fix it by replacing shift bushings and pins. The whole shift rod can get rotated and this will produce whats up with your car.

Sean
Old 10-16-2001, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

my car doesn't have the short shift kit, but it had exactly the same shifting problems. Two days ago the pointed screw that holds the front part of the shift rod to the back part fell out. I re-inserted the pin, screwing it all the way in and now my shifting problems are gone.
Old 10-16-2001, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Short shift kits really don't improve the shifting in a 914 (tail or side shifter); if anything, they exacerbate any problems/shortcomings already inherit with the linkage, since (for some) the term "short-shift" means to imply "fast, quick, lightning-bolt"

By this point in time, most all 914 linkages (and trannies, for that matter) are pretty-well wornout, requiring new bushings everywhere. Even with a refurbished linkage, the tranny still wants a deft shifting hand, not easily achieved with "short-shift kits".

Your linkage is obviously out-of-alignment, and I would suggest a thorough inspection. The bulkhead swivel connector bushings are probably shot, or the pin screw might've backed out, ovaling out the detent on the front rod.

------------------
Rouser!
Old 10-16-2001, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: