Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post KNOCK KNOCK

I recently rebiult my 2.0 engine w/ some new 96mm A&A pistons from a company in Nevada.
When I fired the engine up it ran well but had a knock. I took the car to a local shop an let them listen to it, they were not overly conserned. It bugged me so I pulled the engine and found one of the skirts #2 was dragging. I measured the skirt clearance an it seemed large >.004, top of piston clearance ~.040. Sent them back and they told me they were fine. Should I use them?
Old 10-17-2001, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem once. The noise got quiet when the engin warmed up. I just ground down where the skirt hit the block. Grind the block not the piston. if it's only a small amount.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Imagine that...Thats why they are so cheap...

If you measure the radial, and longitudinal axis of the cylinders you will really be scared...Check the skirt clearance too, if it is more than .003 you are too lose...

With cylinders you get what you pay for, we use ONLY German 94 mm cylinders to make into our 96 sets....All the aftermarket cylinders take lathe and hone work to get close. I use over 100 sets per year, and know the differences..
Old 10-17-2001, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Jake, I was hoping you would chime in. I am a machinist, is it worth trying to turn out my original cylinders they are in good shape. I don't do any engine work but this sounds pretty straight forward. What kind of surface finish do you need. Buy the way this is a spare engine I have another in the car.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jake Raby:
Imagine that...Thats why they are so cheap...

If you measure the radial, and longitudinal axis of the cylinders you will really be scared...Check the skirt clearance too, if it is more than .003 you are too lose...

With cylinders you get what you pay for, we use ONLY German 94 mm cylinders to make into our 96 sets....All the aftermarket cylinders take lathe and hone work to get close. I use over 100 sets per year, and know the differences..
Old 10-18-2001, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: