Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question ECU question

The little Bosch sticker on the outside of my ECU is no longer intact...The question is...Is it the correct ECU for a 1973 2.0l...

Is there any indentifier inside of the unit?

As you may or may not know...The 73 2.0l has a specific ECU/MPS/TempII sensor with resitor, setup. I have always had problems with the D-jetronic...who has not? I may be able to set up using a later ECU, however, the exact bosch part number on the spare is also worn away...So, Can you determine what unit it is from data on the inside of the case?

Thanks, Scott
Old 10-23-2001, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I *think* there may be a series of numbers stamped into the side of the metal ECU case...?

Please verify and post them if they are...
Old 10-23-2001, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
No good part numbers...However, there are numbers and letters:

On the side next to the fire wall...you find the letters DB in a circle

On the bottom of the unit...the letters RT in a circle with the number 128

The other unit in the garage has just teh number 512 stamped on the side...

That is it...
Old 10-23-2001, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Paul B. Landers is the man to talk to. Do a search to find his e-mail, pblanders I think
Old 10-23-2001, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
One step ahead...I thought I would give the rest of us D-Jet novices a shot...Once I find out I will post results...I can't tell you how many times I passed up an ECU at the swap meet because I could not find a part number...@ five bucks a pop I should have bought all of them....Thanks Scott
Old 10-23-2001, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

From my parts manual, the p/n for a 2L appears to be 039-906-021 (from engine No. GA-0-006-766 or from engine No. GB-0-007-402). Hope this helps
Old 10-23-2001, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

PAul Anders site is here:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

Responding to the post above the GB code engines were european-only 1.8L cars with carbs....no ECU.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
I responded to Scott via email, but I thought I'd post this for general interest. If the label is missing, ID'ing the ECU can be difficult. Some, but not all, have a sticker on the main board next to the edge connector. Use a small mirror and you may be able to see it. I don't recommend opening the ECU - the metal tabs that hold the lid on are easily fatigued after bending and snap off easily.

Brad Anders
Old 10-24-2001, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I will pull the connector and check for the sticker..thanks to all...scott
Old 10-24-2001, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ref. the GB engine. According to your reference, the GB is listed as a non-US:

"GB 2.0L non-USA 0 000 001 to ??"

Which matches the info in my Factory Parts Catalog.

Old 10-24-2001, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

OOpers...busted...I should trust my memory so much...

You're right 2.0L, not 1.8L.

Carbed tho and only in Europe...
Old 10-25-2001, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Yes...There is a sticker on the mother board near the connector surface...and it is a part number. Unfortunatly, the number is for the 1976 2.0l. The 1973??? ECU did not have the sticker. The mystery of My 73 2.0l continues...I have found a reciept from the PO indicating that a used ECU was purchased and installed. The reciept indicates the the unit is a CU-13x. I think that is a number to designate the unique 73 ECU...

So, Like indicated before..some will have the sticker...others may not...
Old 10-26-2001, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

Jeff, the GB is the European-spec 2.0, and used D-jet EFI.

AN is the European-spec 1.8, and was the only four-cylinder 914 to be offered with carbs.

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-30-2001, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: