Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question to block, or not to block?

Removed electric fan from engine compartment (the one that supplies extra defrost air) and am going to block the tube where it goes into tin under engine. PO removed both heater valves and blocked off ONE of the tubes from the heat exchangers. Should I block off both or neither? I want to be sure I am not restricting cooling airflow. Thanks,
WD
Old 11-02-2001, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So what are you going to do with the fan? I could use one now that I know I don't have one. (see previous post "what's that for") If you want to sell it what do you want for it? If I here you right you should block off the hole in the engine tin because you want cool air in engine compartment. Hot air underneath. As far as in out of heater box you can leave them open. But I think I would block off the fan outlets so all the air goes into the engine. Please tell me if this is not a good idea everyone!
Old 11-02-2001, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the fan's going on the shelf. if I decide to reinstalll heater boxes at some future date I'll need it, but for now there are enough other things to do before I'll worry about whether or not I have heat
Old 11-02-2001, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I may have a fan for you...email me.

Sean
Old 11-02-2001, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
like Will98 I have bigger fish to fry these days with my car. but if the price is right and your E address is supplied. But what do you think about blocking off the air from the engine driven fan???
Old 11-02-2001, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Block them off.

They don't do squat for cooling off the cylinders (That's what the main fan is for.) Think about it, when you have the heater fan off and all the flapper boxes shut off, they are essentially blocked off, right? I'm thinking that the air doesn't necessarily have to be cool in the engine compartment, it just needs to contain oxygen for combustion. But then again, if they are blocked, you won't lose screws, nuts and your favorite 10mm socket down into them.

------------------
Herb
'72 1.7 Tangerine 'Teen
'74 2.0 Red Rustmobile
Old 11-02-2001, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
well here is my thought and situation. I don't have any heater hose,flapper dohicky, or none of that. not to mention aux fan blower. Just holes on sheet metal and open square holes in fan housing.
But the thought is if the tope side of the engine tin is sealed from sucking hot air from under the car.... The engine can only suck in air from the top through the engine lid. I know I might start something I can't finish but isn't every few degrees drop in air temp worth more HP? seen a difference with my bug on the Cylinder head temp gauge.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: