Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Voltage Reg?

Any thoughts on the following problem ecountered on my way into the office today in my 75 1.8 daily driver?

The volt meter peged at 15/16 during normal driving with no lights etc. running. After maybe five minutes it returned to it's normal 12/13 reading and then later pegged again without anything electrical turned on or break pedal pushed. Is likely to be the voltage regulator going out or is it diodes in the alternator. Can the alternator be replaced without dropping the engine?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 11-02-2001, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Test the battery with the engine off with a multimeter...should read 12.5 volts, engine running 13.5+. Over 15 volts, the voltage regulator is toast...

[This message has been edited by mikez (edited 11-02-2001).]
Old 11-02-2001, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Can't respond to your voltage reg problem, but alternator can be removed w/o dropping engine. It's a bear, but can be done. I've done two so far with the car backed up onto ramps.

------------------
Old 11-02-2001, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mike's right, I just went through a week of Alt/volt reg problems and I finally bought a new sealed batt, rebuilt Bosch alt and Bosch voltage reg. I found that a bout a minute of 15 to 16 volts going to the batt will fry it, even a sealed batt. I'd recommend washing the batt tray area really well with baking soda solutiuon a couple of times and drying it well. Then I'd buy all three since if one part goes bad, then all the others are over stressed and will fail shortly. This might also be a good time to check the cables and put some 3 ga cables in. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2001, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: