Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post no spark from coil

Does anyone know how the coil picks up its signal. I have a 74 2.0 that has a good coil but no spark. I have set the condesor to .016" and cleaned up it contact. Do I need to replace? Is there something I am missing?
ANY help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Shane
Old 11-05-2001, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

The coil gets +12V from the black wire going to its (+) terminal. It should get +12V all the time the ignition switch is on. The coil charges up when the points are open, and discharges when the points are closed. (I could have that part backwards...) The initial part of the discharge is enough to make a really nice spark at the spark plug. The points, by way of the condensor, hook to the (-) terminal of the coil. The points alternately short that green wire to ground, and then disconnect it.

You can try unplugging the green points wire and the black/purple tach signal wire from the (-) terminal, and then hooking a wire up there. Touch the other end of that wire to a ground and take it away again. On one of those transitions, the coil should generate a spark. (Hook up a plug wire and plug to the center coil terminal and tape the plug with its threads on a ground like the fan shroud.)

How's the ground braid that connects the points plate to the distributor body? This is a possible failure point that can have bad effects on your ignition.

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-05-2001, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is the Distributor spinning when you crank the motor ??

------------------
  • Joe A.
  • 84 911 Targa
  • 75 914/6 3.0
Old 11-05-2001, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Even more to the point (sorry) is the phenolic follower that rides on the cam staying in contact all the way around. Never urts to check them points adjustment one more time get that follower smack dab in the middle of two high spots. I guess .016 is the right gap. Make sure you don't have any pitting or peaks on the points contact surface. Sure am glad P.O. put in Petronic.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: