Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post What is this wire for?

No doubt a silly question to those who know, but what is this wire for? Looks like it may go to the temp meter on the center consol, but I can't find a connector under the car that it should plug into.

BTW: This is on a stock 2.0L motor.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Old 11-07-2001, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Uh Huh. You guessed right. The wire comes through the firewall on the later cars...is your 2.0L a transplant into an early car? The early cars aren't wired for it.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

Oil temp sender. The connector would be in the right-hand front corner of the engine bay, probably under the engine tin, right around the area where the throttle cable feeds through the tin.

From there the wire goes into the main harness, into the center tunnel, aand then to the gauge.

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-07-2001, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Ah ha, I found the connector. I never would have thought to look over there considering the length from sensor wire end to wire harness connector is about 2” too short, and that’s stretched in a way Porsche never would have designed.

This 2.0L motor replaced the 1.7L carbed motor that the PO had in this ‘73, so my guess is the harness wire on the donor car was longer than the wire on this ’73.

In any case, I got my question answer. Thanks guys!

Tim
’73 914 2.0L … with a temp sensor now

P.S. I'm surprised I couldn't find this in the Haynes manual? Oh well.

Old 11-07-2001, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

One more thing the wire color is green with black stripes. Single terminal connector on top of the tunnel just short of the shifter.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

While this pictures up on the site. How do you keep the 2 bolts from leaking oil? There is a plate that holds the sender and a plate that covers the sender. Does it go together in the following order -
- o-ring
- sender plate assembly
- brass washers
- sender cover assembly
- (2) bolts

I believe this is how I installed it but I have a small drip on each bolt.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2001, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hello

The visible wire is wrong routet and therfore to short. It also looks like it is electrical shortet by the sharp corner at the clamp.

Grüsse

[This message has been edited by Roland Kunz (edited 11-08-2001).]
Old 11-08-2001, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Great photo.. Is that the plate needed to add an after market oil gauge sensor?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2001, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Porsche Crest

Responding to a few things:

> P.S. I'm surprised I couldn't find this in the Haynes manual?

Hahahaahahahahaahaaa!! That's a good one!! Haynes may be the best manual in town (for $20, at least) but it is far from complete....

> Does it go together in the following order -
> - o-ring
> - sender plate assembly
> - brass washers
> - sender cover assembly
> - (2) bolts

- O-ring around the sender plate assembly, lubed with engine oil.
- Sender plate installed into case.
- Paper gasket.
- Cover plate ("taco plate").
- Brass washers.
- Bolts, torqued to 10 lb-ft. Much more than that will warp the plate into a taco-shell shape.

Sounds like you need to move the washers. Not sure how necessary the paper gasket is.

> Great photo.. Is that the plate needed to add an after market oil gauge sensor?

Yes, if you are copying the factory setup. Not the worst idea in the world, but also not the cheapest. There are also dipstick sensors you can get, and you can even drill a hole in the non-sensor cover plate to mount the sensor, and put a nut on the top side (use crush washers on each side of the plate). This will leave part of the sensor sticking out into the air, which will usually make it read low. And will expose it to possible damage. And there are other things you can fake up as well.

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-08-2001, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: