Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Valves adjustements

Topic: Valve Adjustments (spelling correction)

Just a thought.
I know the correct procedure for setting TDC on each cylinder to adjust my valves. But, while I'm lying under my car watching the valves open and close I thought "why can't I adjust the cylinder that the intake valve just closed on?" Obviously I can tell that both valves are shut for the compression stroke. I'm sure that if I had some hi-po cam in it there would be a lot of overlap and this might not work, but in a stock type application? What are your thoughts?

ShawnO

[This message has been edited by ShawnO (edited 11-08-2001).]
Old 11-08-2001, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Exclamation

Never, ever adjust a valve whose neighbor on the same cylinder is open. For example, if #3 exhaust valve is open, do not adjust #3 intake valve. I have checked this on several motors, and the gap in this condition is always larger than the gap at TDC when both valves are closed. If you adjust a valve to the spec this way, it will actually be too tight.

For some pictures of what can eventually happen whhen you leave your valves too tight for too long, check http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_valve_blown/914_valve_blown.htm .

Jim Thorusen likes the adjustment method used in Tom Wilson's book. I haven't tried it--I am quite comfortable with the TDC method and have marked my flywheel so I don't have to bother with looking at the distributor or fan. Jim's method is to set the engine up so that a valve is rocking, then adjust the same valve on the other side of the motor. That is, if the front-left exhaust valve is open, he will adjust the front-right exhaust valve.

Jim and I have gone through the discussion a few times, and each of us likes his own method and will keep using it. I'm not sold that his method avoids the problems I mentioned in the first paragraph, but he likes it because it is relatively easy to set up. (Me, I only have one side of the car in the air at a time, so I'd drip a lot of oil if I took off both valve covers...)

--DD

------------------
Pelican Parts 914 Tech Support

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

[This message has been edited by Dave_Darling (edited 11-08-2001).]
Old 11-08-2001, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

ShawnO,

I have to side with Jim in Daves posting. I have tried both methods, and definately prefer Jim's. I get good results, I don't have to do the TDC search, and it just seems more logical to me.

My 0.02

Regards,
Old 11-14-2001, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: