Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wink Time to Replace The 8-Track...

I'm thinking it is time to replace my old Motorola AM/FM/8-Track radio. I am looking at a cassette or CD at this point... but I do want to be able to add XMRadio satellite in the near future (one of the reasons for needing a newer system).

Anyone have recent systems in place? How about suggestions on repacement radios?

Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2001, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't really know much about satellite radio, but as far as which decks to look at, I'd reccomend just getting something inexpensive that's easy to use, and has preamp outs so that you can also use an amp. Blaupunkt is nice stuff, and good quality. In a noisy car like a 914, you're going to need plenty of power to be able to hear anything, and there aren't any decks out there that offer that much. I personally like Nakamichi decks, they sound great and look awesome in older cars like porsches, but they're kinda expensive and don't come with any kind of satellite radio stuff.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I hadn't thought of he amp! The radio I have now is pretty lame .. especially when the engine is above 2500 or 3000 RPMs. The amp would most likely take care of that!

The satellite radio can hook to the back of the AM/FM radio but has it's own faceplate. Sony has a little unit that can hook up in your car then undock and be taken in the house to plug into a stereo. You can read more at http://www.xmradio.com

Thanks for the note!

David
Old 11-13-2001, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Stupid question, but what are you going to do with that old Motorola 8-Track player?

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 11-13-2001, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have the 8-track also. Mine plays two tracks at one time though. Anyone know how to fix this or is there someone who specializes in these radios for rebuild? I would love to keep it as I think it definitely gives the car character. (As if it did not have enough already!!!)
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 11-13-2001, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
here's a small list of places that rebuild old radios. http://www.imperialclub.com/TipsAndResources/ComponentParts/Accessories/AudioSystem/Resources.html
Most any electronics repair shop should be able to fix it, though, just to get it working. Some little independant TV repair shop would be a likely bet.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I haven't thought much about what I will do with the Motorola. If I decide to get rid of it I'll contact you Aaron!

While I like character, I find very little storage for 8-track tapes!

David
Old 11-13-2001, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have a Pioneer DEH-2300 in my 914. It is satellite radio ready, I just have not got the service. The Pioneer has in In dash CD and 200 W total. If you run just two speakers in the kick panel, you can bridge the channels and have plenty or power without an amp.(depending on how noisy you motor is ...mine has carbs and still can be heard clearly.) As for speakers I suggest 4 X 6 Infinity plate speakers from Crutchfield, $89 for a pair on special good buy.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The Pioneer has in In dash CD and 200 W total. If you run just two speakers in the kick panel, you can bridge the channels and have plenty or power without an amp
The 200 watts listed is the peak power of all four channels combined; the deck actually puts out about 20 watts per channel RMS. Bridging the channels of a head unit is not a good idea, because it decreases the impedence that the internal amplifier "sees", and most head units are not stable to below four ohms. So, it might work, but it might also destroy your deck.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It seems to work fine, but you are probably right. One way to get around that would be to use 8 ohm speakers in parallel. I have seen an 8 ohm set out there I just cannot remember where. That way the internal amp should see 4 ohm load.
Old 11-14-2001, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: