Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone upgraded to tie rod ends?

looking at the parts in the catalogue, wayne's really pushing buying the tie rod end puller and special wrench, can you do without them?
Old 11-15-2001, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I think youmean turbo tie rod ends.

I have not done this but I am sure there is someone on this board tha has.

Regards,

Kelly
Old 11-15-2001, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

tie rod end

I use the old tuning fork tool with a hammer. It works fine. If you just replace the ends, be shure that the supplier sends you one RH thread and one LH thread. They are different.
I have replaced a few for other people, but on my two personal porsche's I went with turbo tie rods. The difference is incredable.
I highly recomend them if your car is a keeper.

The special wrench is good because of the confined work area, but you can use a chisel to break the rod loose and remove it with a big pair of channel-lock pliers. When you break it loose with a chisel they usually screw off easily. Good luck!

P.S. the washers with the turbo rods go at the rack. Not the rack mount. They are not a bonus bump stear washer. The rods will screw into the rack and bottom out. You cannot tighten them correctly without the washers. When you put them on, I use some Med. strength locktite. I use large chanel-locks to re-install.

The turbo rods are square at the rack where the reg. are round with 4 indentions for the special wrench. If you are going to do alot of them buy the tools. If not, take your time and you can use my methods.

Last edited by piperpilotduane; 11-15-2001 at 01:27 PM..
Old 11-15-2001, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Eat-um-up Send a message via AIM to Eat-um-up
I upgraded my 914 to turbo tierod ends. Boy am i glad i did!!! the car rides sooo much better!! i bought my kit out of German Parts and Restoration (before i knew of pelican)
Oh and by the way, sadly my 914 is for sale. i cant keep her any longer
Old 11-15-2001, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

yeah, i ment turbo tie rods, the wrenchs would be nice to have laying around, but for a one time event?, thanks duane, i'll just buy the parts
Old 11-15-2001, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'd really look at your old tie rods first. If they are in good shape then I wouldn't bother replacing them. I upgraded my car and I saw no improvement. I can only guess that my old tie rods were in good shape.

Upgrade only if the old part is wore out.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You might be able to rent the tool from Auto Zone for free.

I strongly recommend purchasing the Turbo Tie-Rod Ends.
The difference is worth the $$$$
Old 11-15-2001, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

well, let's see the car has been abused(raped is more like it) for about 20 years, documents are mediocre at best, the odometer stopped at a hair over 100000 miles, i'm trying to build a history for the car, the steering wheel shakes like a massager when i'm driving, alignment and wheel balance aside, thanks everybody
Old 11-15-2001, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Pelican Parts A few things I learned from a 911 buddy...

He had an 80 SC. His tie-rod ends were in bad shape, so he installed the turbo ones. A world of difference--absolutely night and day.

So he installed a pair in his girlfriend's 81 SC. The tie-rod ends on her car were in good shape, but he figured it would be a significant upgrade anyway. Nope--there was almost no difference.

The lesson I took away from that: If yours are in good shape, leave them alone.

He also had to take a grinder to a cheapie open-end wrench to make it thinner. He said that was the only way he could get the new parts on, because space was so limited.

I haven't done this job myself, just passing along some stuff I've learned second-hand.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-15-2001, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

dave could you get his girlfriends number? to many tests, exams, and check rides
Old 11-15-2001, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Anyone suggest a simple way to check condition of tie rods?
Grab with channel locks? Check for what kind of movement?
What defines ok vs. bad?
Old 11-16-2001, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

My view on turbo tie rods is that they're a must-do if you already have the front suspension apart and are already doing a re-alignment and so forth.

Otherwise, I personally wouldn't bother unless you actually have a problem. The reduction in "slop" and improvement in steering feel is noticable, but definitely pretty subtle.

Just my $.02
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 11-16-2001, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

After banging and clanging on several tie rod ends using the
fork method, I ran accross this tool. It has been easy ever since.

http://images.prosperpoint.com/1070/54506-79.jpg

I think I bought this from JCWhitney.

Phil
Old 11-16-2001, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

What Chris Campbell said -

I would add, if you are doing brake stuff and messing with the master cylinder, that is a good time also, because having the drivers side tie rod out makes access to the master cylinder area easier also.

I took a standard open end wrench and ground it down flatter on a grinding wheel to generate the speciality wrench. It was a night and the kids loved watching the sparks and doing a little grinding themselves.

- Dave
Old 11-16-2001, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

i like sparks!!, you can always return a craftsman, i just finished screwing with brakes and rotors, replaced the right front, new pads, SS brake lines, rebuilt the rear calipers, i'll probably take the left front off to re-grease bearings, the master cylinder can probably wait with a couple prayers to the Almighty
Old 11-16-2001, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: