Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914-4 no spark from distributer-Help

Driving car, killed not able to restart. Do hear fuel pump and relay when turn key .

I don't get any spark from the coil. Test light OK from term 15 to battery ground when turn to on and when turn to start. Think shows start switch is OK?

Test light also OK from Term 1 when also do the above. Power to condensor OK?

Replaced condensor. Points look OK have not replaced yet.

Have continuity from center coil wire out so wire is OK also from center coil wire inside of distributer cap out. cap replaced last year.

Test light works when touch condensor wire inside distributor with cap off and crank motor.

Help please
Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
wierd, bad coil maybe
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 07-20-2010, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
That's what I would think. In simple terms if you got power in and a triggered ground with no spark out the coil is bad.

Any good 914 worth his salt has a spare coil in a box somewhere.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
It is in the box of spares in the trunk
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have you verified the points are opening and closing?

The same thing happened to me last week. Driving along and then nothing. Engine dead. After I towed it home I took the points out to look at them, They looked fine. But then I noticed that the part of the points that ride on the distributer was broken off. So my points did not open, thus no spark.

I would change the points anyway to rule it out.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
911buff

Garage
davevf,
I feel your pain. Not sure this will really help but it might get your baby running. About 14 years ago, I had a '74 2.0 that progressively ran worse and worse on my way home until it died completely. Same as you, I checked EVERYTHING and nothing was wrong. I replaced the coil, points, cap, rotor, condenser...double checked it all and still nothing. Don't ask me why but on one of my attempts to start it, I had the center wire on the distributor about halfway out. Low and behold the darn thing started and ran great. Push the wire in and it died. Pull it out a little way until it arced and it ran. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, I duck taped the wire right there and went on my way. I revisited the problem some time later and the car had healed itself!?! I still have no idea what was taking place and no one has been able to explain it. My only guess is that there was not sufficient power until the wire was forced to arc to the distributor. To make a long story short, try my "fix" and see what happens. Maybe some electrical engineer can explain it away.

Got to love those darned electrons...they have a mind of their own!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: