Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

4 way flasher electrical problems..

The 4 way flasher is blowing fuses when I pull out the switch...If I don't pull it the turn signals work and the oil and alt lights dim and brighten when the ingnition is on and the motor not running...The high beams and driving lights would not operate either when the fuse was not blown this just started......I replaced the flasher switch and that solved the head and driving lamp problem however its still blowing fuses when the switch is pulled...The flasher unit is also clicking all the time...

Can you tell me what I am not doing..I checked to see that all the leads were correct on the switch and head lamp relay...What would cause this condition??

Thanks

Steve K.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I had bad relays do funky stuff like that to my headlights, flasher did not blow fuses, but did not work right.

Went to Bugformance and got the relays I needed and a new gas cap. Relays were from a late '60s bug, cap was early bug as I recall, one of the relays was maybe from a bus. Fuse cover for '75-'79 Super Beetle fits stock 914 box.

Maybe a bad switch, or a wire touching where it shouldn't
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have been tracing the wires...now the flasher still clicks all the time and when I pull the flasher switch nothing happens...and fuses do not blow...however when I use the turn signals the fuse blows...so next step is to pull the turn signal switch...and look at the connections under the dash...I replaced the flasher unit and flasher switch and traced all the wires to both those units not apparent shorts so it seems to be somewhere between the turn signals switch and the flasher switch I think...any thoughts???
Old 08-28-2010, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Flashers... Seat Belt warning and E brake Warning HEPL?

OK...When i installed the front lights I place the flasher lite lead on spade #1 the ground...What's funny is that it was like that for 2 weeks and working before it started blowing fuses...

Does anyone know how the seat belts /emergency brake warning system on a 76 914 works and how to disarm it so the flasher units stops clicking or is that being caused by something else....When I release the had brake the light spos flashing but the flasher is still clicking...Is that due to the seat belt system???:
Old 08-29-2010, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
There is a how to thread on the seatbelt thing, either her or 914world.com, I think you can bypass it pretty easy, already done on my '74 when I bought it.

Wierd it was working for a few weeks then started blowing fuses, that probably means something.
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 08-30-2010, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: