Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
2.0L Injector voltage

I've read all the posts on injectors and I have yet to see a concise voltage requirement provided by the ECU at the injector connector. I've tested mine with a noid light but got nothing. Put on a volt meter and was reading under 0.5 volts for each injector connector. This doesn't seem like enough voltage.

Yes, I've check pbanders page - which says nothing about voltage - only impedance. Injector ground wire to engine ground in my case is under 1-ohm.

Will be checking/cleaning the TPS next, but still want to know what the voltage is supposed to be at the injector connector.

TIA,
Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's supposed to be 0V when the injector is closed, and it's supposed to see something like 9V to open. See if you can find a link to contact Brad Anders on his webpage; I know that he has looked at the voltage that is produced by the ECU to open up the injectors.

Note that the power is not connected unless the ECU is trying to open an injector, and that's when you'll see voltage.

Ah, this page has a section about injector voltage: The ECU

Quote:
... the effective supply voltage to the injectors is 12.7 V through a 6 ohm load resistor (Rload, a 5 W ceramic power resistor, bonded to the case of the ECU to act as a heat sink).
Quote:
Accounting for the higher measured injector resistance over the specification value and using the system voltage of 13. 6 V, the actual measured sustained voltage is 4 to 5 V. Note that the calculated drive voltage corresponds exactly with data given for the flow rates of the injectors, which states that the tests were performed at 3 V (data courtesy of Roland Kunz).
So the voltage across the injectors varies quite a bit, but it looks like if you unplug them you should see 12V for at least a little bit.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Dave,

I knew this was out there somewhere - I guess I missed that page.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: