Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to darthgator
New in Vegas and got some questions

Hey out there. Just moved to Las Vegas from CT. and got a few quewstions about registering my teener in this state. Anybody there from Vegas that can help me?
Old 03-07-2002, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

what kind of info you need there gator ?
I am in Vegas.....let me know what kind of info you are looking for.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

New in Vegas

OK, here's the scoop. 73, 1.7 modified to 2.1 with carb Web cam, dual Webers (gift from PO) and bursch exhaust. Car runs excellent, I'm use to adjusting the carbs and have very few issues that I can't tollerate. I am going to register it as a classic and I wonder if the carbs will be an issue. I know that it is exempt from smog but there is a statement that one must attest to that the car has not been modified from original. Do they know any different or do they even care? What are the road blocks that I need to be aware of in NV?

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have never had to register one from out of state..or with carbs.
I do know you will need to have it smog checked though .
My 73 had to be smog checked .
I can make some calls for you though....you can always take it to a smog station and see if it passes. More than likely most of those guys who run the jiffy smogs have no idea if carbs were an option or not . Run it thru and see if it passes.
As far as registration I doubt you will run into any hastles there.
I can ask around for you ..I will let you know what I find .

What side of town are you on ? I am in the North East .
Old 03-07-2002, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

New in Vegas

I live in Summerlin. The car is not here yet. Going to have it shipped in about three weeks. I can't wait till my baby is out here. I can't believe I need to smog test the beast even though it is greater than 25 years old. Please ask around and let me know. I'll bet dollars to donuts that it wouldn't pass without some serious tweeking. Thanks for your input. Maybe we can meet someday and talk teener talk.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

well I can attest to the smog issue...I had to smog my 2.0 about 7 months ago....a bunch of crap if you ask me .
It took a few attempts to get her to pass with the fuel injection !

My first teener was totaled by some uninsured motorist a few years back...I am just getting started on this 2.0 .
It is a daily driver so I am not going to crazy with it ( like a daily driver really needs 180 # springs in the rear )

There used to be alot of 914's around town here.....show up at the local SCCA auto crosss and you may find a few. I used to autoX a 914 ....sure miss that car !!

If you like to go junkyard searching for parts...check out southwest foreign out off lamb near the freeway. They usually have a few teeners in there .

fell free to email me at : jwcolt45@cs.com or if you use MSN instant messenger : flying914_2
Old 03-07-2002, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Does you local PCA setup any track DE's on that new track you have down there(Iguess its not that new anymore)?

Kelly
Old 03-07-2002, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Having an out-of-state title will require you to have it inspected. For the most part this is just a check of the vin number to make sure the car is not stolen, but it must also be safe to drive; horn, turn signals, lights, no cracks in the glass, that kind of safe. The following is a link and the info you need as far as registration. I am glad this came up as it is also the route I am going so it finally got me off of my butt to look it up.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/

Chapter 482

NRS 482.3816 Classic Vehicles.
1. The department may issue special license plates and registration certificates to residents of Nevada for any passenger car or light commercial vehicle:
(a) Having a manufacturer’s rated carrying capacity of 1 ton or less;
(b) Manufactured at least 25 years before the application is submitted to the department; and
(c) Containing only the original parts which were used to manufacture the vehicle or replacement parts that duplicate those original parts.
2. License plates issued pursuant to this section must be inscribed with the words “CLASSIC VEHICLE” and three or four consecutive numbers.
3. If during a registration year, the holder of special plates issued pursuant to this section disposes of the vehicle to which the plates are affixed, he shall retain the plates and:
(a) Affix them to another vehicle which meets the requirements of this section and report the change to the department in accordance with the procedure set forth for other transfers; or
(b) Within 30 days after removing the plates from the vehicle, return them to the department.
4. The fee for the special license plates is $35, in addition to all other applicable registration and license fees and governmental services taxes. The fee for an annual renewal sticker is $10.
(Added to NRS by 1995, 788; A 2001, 332)

NRS 445B.760 Authority of commission to prescribe standards for emissions from mobile internal combustion engines; trimobiles; standards pertaining to motor vehicles to be approved by department of motor vehicles.
1. The state environmental commission may by regulation prescribe standards for exhaust emissions, fuel evaporative emissions and visible emissions of smoke from mobile internal combustion engines on the ground or in the air, including, but not limited to, aircraft, motor vehicles, snowmobiles and railroad locomotives. The regulations must:
(a) Provide for the exemption from such standards of restored vehicles for which special license plates have been issued pursuant to NRS 482.381, 482.3812, 482.3814 or 482.3816.
(b) Establish criteria for the condition and functioning of a restored vehicle to qualify for the exemption, and provide that the evaluation of the condition and functioning of such a vehicle may be conducted at an authorized inspection station or authorized station as defined in NRS 445B.710 and 445B.720, respectively.
(c) Define “restored vehicle” for the purposes of the regulations.

2. Standards for exhaust emissions which apply to a trimobile must be based on standards which were in effect in the year in which the engine of the trimobile was built.
3. Any such standards which pertain to motor vehicles must be approved by the department of motor vehicles before they are adopted by the commission.
(Added to NRS by 1973, 1702; A 1979, 857; 1985, 803; 1997, 2650; 2001, 2617)

NRS 445B.710 “Authorized inspection station” defined. “Authorized inspection station” means a station licensed by the department of motor vehicles for inspecting motor vehicles and devices for the control of pollution for com- pliance with this chapter or any applicable federal regulation or regulation of the commission. (Added to NRS by 1993, 2850; A 2001, 2617)

NRS 445B.720 “Authorized station” defined. “Authorized station” means a station licensed by the department of motor vehicles for inspecting motor vehicles and devices for the control of pollution for compliance with this chapter or any applicable federal regulation or regulation of the commission and for installing, repairing and adjusting such devices to meet the commission’s requirements. (Added to NRS by 1993, 2851; A 2001, 2617)

As you can see in 482.3816(c), you must have all original parts or parts that duplicate the originals. I have not gone this route yet myself, but in the twelve years I have been registering cars here in Nevada I have yet to have anybody check for original parts or could even tell you what was originally equipped. (I was able to get dual Weber 40s to pass smog) Please write back about your experience in getting the "classic plates". And welcome to Nevada and the PP BBS, good to see the number of Nevadans growing here, I don't feel so all alone anymore.

Last edited by roadtrp204; 03-08-2002 at 06:34 AM..
Old 03-08-2002, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Newbie in Vegas

Thanks Chris,

That was what I was looking for. I will let you and the board know what happens when I get the car here. What a great bunch of Guys/Girls? on this board.

Peace and happy motoring.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Kelly,
Looks like the only thing going on at the LV motor speedway through the PCA is time trials on November 9-10.
http://vista.pca.org//lvs/
Old 03-08-2002, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: