Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Eat-um-up Send a message via AIM to Eat-um-up
conversion questions

I was sitting around thinking about what do do about my bad engine luck.. While pondering about differnt kinds of power plants i could put in my 914 i thought Corvair..

Has anyone ever put a corvair engine in a 914? if so how well does it fit? how much cutting is needed? and how about bolting up to the transaxle?
Old 03-11-2002, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ahhh, Corvair -- my first car! It was a cute little Monza coupe with a four speed... well, enough of my stroll down memory lane. You think a 914 engine leaks oil... wait til you see a Corvair six!! Interesting question but as I recall, the engine is pretty big in the engine bay.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
. . .and as an added bonus, it (the Corvair engine) rotates in the opposite direction of the 914-4. You'd have one of the fastest (in reverse) cars in your neighborhood, however!
Old 03-11-2002, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's been done.

Crown Engineering used to sell "reverse cams" so you could get the 'Vair engine to spin the VW direction. Or, if you have a tail-shifter, you could simply swap in a tranny from a 911 or 912.

The Corvair engines are uncommon enough and old enough now that this swap doesn't make that much sense. I think a hotted-up Type IV motor would blow the stock Corvair motor away, unless you're talking the turbocharged Corvair. And that's a whole different breed of problems...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-11-2002, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

IMHO, one of the nicest conversion is to flat six. Not to say that other power plant are not nice, a 6 cyl Porshe motor still allows you to PCA race.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You can fix the rotating backwards bit by putting in a VW trans.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Why would you downgrade the car with a VW trans?? Just slap a 911 or 912 tranny in and be done with it. Start with a tail-shifter 914, and you can just swap over the "nosecone" so it bolts right up.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-12-2002, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Go to the914club and post your question there ,There is a guy in the midwest who has a turbo monza corvair in his 914. He checks out the adds and I'm sure he will contact you. Steve
Old 03-12-2002, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Have you thought of a v8 chevy powerplant? Renegade offers the complete kit concept with no cutting involved in the engine compartment...........though you would have to cut a opening in the front for radiator.

I chose this route.......dial in just about any HP you want with excellent reliability (my number one concern), and lots of support from the owner with a dedicated BBS for 914 v8's. As much info there about conversions as what you see here on Pelican with respect to 914s.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Eat-um-up Send a message via AIM to Eat-um-up
I thought about doing a conversion like a V8 or mazda rotary.. Problem is that i dont want to do any cutting to the main body. Thats why i thought a corvair might be nice.. Wouldnt have to cut a hole int the trunk for a radiator.. plus i actually use that trunk and ALL of it

I want to convert it but a porsche 6 is not a very nice motor in a 914 when it comes time for annual maintenence
Old 03-12-2002, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I would give up my glovebox if I could gain 300 more hp. If storage room is more important than go-fast, get a minivan. If you love the type 4 stick with it. If you love the Corvair, get help .

Have fun whatever you do - don't get a minivan.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not sure I understand the "annual maintenance issues" with a -6 in a 914. I have a 2.7 in mine, and there are no issues. The plugs are all on top (I change them for every track event). The oil filter can get a little messy (it's in the OEM position), I used a Pertronix rather than points (no issues there), and I really don't have any timing issues (that's the great thing with the Pertronix, of any other electrical timing system). So, other than cubic dollars, what's the real issue? Understand that any conversion effort moves you to "Porsche Dollars." They're almost like Monopoly money, but they spend much faster.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I would just get a nice running 4. I thought about doing the conversion stuff too till I was blue in the face. I finally came to the conclusion that it was either going to stay a 4 or become a 6, nothing else. Why? I was a Road Glue meet and seen this UGLY franken14 with a V6 conversion. It made wanna put my foot through the side window. I'm all for doing stuff different, but this car was a piece. The guy beat on the body with a sledge to make things fit and had half started sawed out holes where he changed his mind. It ruined my outlook on conversions forever. I know that there are plenty of nicely done alternative conversions, but I would just keep it simple and go with a nice running 4. Cheap, Easy, Reliable and possibly Fast
Old 03-12-2002, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: