Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

5-Lug Conversion Questions

When converting the rear to 5-lug can I use either front or rear 911 hubs?
Old 03-17-2002, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
"Typical" conversions use a 911 front end from an SC. They swap right in. You get vented rotors, bigger calipers and can use the under body sway bar.

The rear, most people remove the rear hub, machine in five holes and press in new studs and use a 914/6 solid rotor.

There are many other options but the above are the biggest bang for the buck. Very simply put, but that's what most do....
Old 03-17-2002, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Mike, I have asked this before and never got a sure awnser. After drilling the hubs, can you put a 911 rear rotor on. Which one? I have a set of early front 911 calipers w/ the 3" bolt spacing which are for ventilated rotor. I will race the car, so don't need a parking brake. I do know that there is a hydrualic park brake avail if I change my mind. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
You can do anything you want.....depends on what parts you want and what you want to do.

Personally, rear brakes are the last thing you want to upgrade. Most of your braking is on the front. The rears are just there to keep you straight.

If you want to get bigger calipers on the rear.....the old fronts will fit or a BMW 320i will fit some shimming, depending on what year 914 you have....

Give us specifics and we can help.....
Old 03-17-2002, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Like I said, Mike, I have what I believe you would call M calipers from the front of a early 911. They are already bolted on to my trailing arms on my '73 914. I didn't know which rotor to order new from Pelican. If I were to buy 914-6 rotors, I would have almost as much money invested as buying a ventilated rotor. Even though you state that the rears are not that important, wouldn't it be allright to have a little more brake back there if I wanted it? I have an adjustable brake bias valve installed.

BTW, I hope you assumed that if I were contiplating that much brake on the rear, that I have allready done the fronts. I have, w/ S calipers. And they might be replaced w/ even bigger brakes if and when I run w/ slicks.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Ah....ya did not mention that.....914/6 rotors are the same price as 914/4 rotors.....close to the same thickness and diameter.

If you already have different calipers for the rear. You will need to shim the 911 M calipers so that they will work with vented rotors.

Personally, unless you have a monster motor from hell, "I" would just go with a 320i BMW caliper and a solid rear rotor. They are in most cases a bolt on....also, you can use the old 914 front brakes on the rear. Bigger calipers and less hassle than shims and other headaches....

Have you read up on the rules that you will be competing in? RTFRB is a mantra around here....

I got a rude awakening on my first race car. I was competeing against some BAD racers because of a few mods to my brakes that I really did not need....
Old 03-17-2002, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Zeke914,

To answer you question about rear brakes, you can use the SC rear rotors for the conversion with your early M calipers. If you could find a set of Carrera M calipers, then you could use the Carrera rotors.
Old 03-17-2002, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I converted to 5 lug as follows: removed 914 front end, replaced with 911 front end, totally bolt-on. Bolted on rear calipers from same 911, but needed to add 5 mm spacers to re-center the caliper over the thicker vented rotors. Had my original 914 rear hubs redrilled for 5 lug. No p-brake currently, but the 911 p-brake assy's will bolt onto the 914 trailing arms (you may have to file down rough casting edges and drill new holes in the trailing arm for proper p-brake cable exit. Search on "illco" for more details). Left the proportioning valve in place. 911 parts were from an '84 Carrera.

Just finished a DE weekend, instructor described the car's new braking ability as "f***ing awesome" more than once.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Jim and John, thanks much! I have been looking for a simple concise answer for that ques for a month. Outstanding! I want to bring my car to the East to race someday. You guys (RacerChris, etc.) are on it. (I can feel Otto's fingers reaching for the keyboard already). Go ahead locals, I'm ready for it.

Last edited by Zeke; 03-17-2002 at 07:46 PM..
Old 03-17-2002, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Zeke914.

When you come to the East, there are some great tracks. One of my favorite is VIR. Either the Full Course or the North Course.

What motor are you putting into your car?
Old 03-18-2002, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Jim, 4 cyl 2.0 for local autox and POC club races. Will also build a 1.8 for SCCA later. I will put big money in the 1.8. The 2.0 is to just get going.
KB pistons
9.5 CR
44 x 38 stainless valves, mild porting
Cam similar to 86b, little less lift.
Webers
Lightened flywheel
Simple and basic.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: